Is handwashing worth it?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgfny, Jul 5, 2005.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Where do you get these "soap and fingernail brushes"?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Any drugstore. It's not a "soap and fingernail brush." You need A) soap; and B) a fingernail brush. It's just a cheap brush with short nylon bristles and a plastic base.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Lucky man. Most commercial laundries just throw the body of the shirt into the press and press right on top of the buttons. Thus a big, heavy, hot metal sheet is pressing against them. This tends to break them if you do it often enough. Decent hand pressing goes around the buttons and only presses the placket in between.

In my experience, fraying is caused less by washing and more by wear. And also by the density and quality of the cloth. Any 1x1 will fray more quickly than a 2x2. Really high yarn number clothes (200s) will also fray sooner, because the cloth is more delicate.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I'm guessing you don't live in New York.

5. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

At many places in NYC "handwash" for $4 isn't really possible...what they mean is that the shirts are washed like all the other shirts but are pressed by hand rather than machine. I think it would be cost-prohibitive for most NYC laundries to hand-wash and hand-iron a shirt for only $4.

tgfny, I probably don't have as many T& A shirts as you do, but if mine are any indication, they really benefit from a hand-pressing. The buttons are nice-looking, but very delicate. I also have some wool-blend tattersals from them but I usually get those dry-cleaned--I would hate for the cleaners to accidentally shrink a $300+ shirt.

6. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Taking shirts to a cleaner cost too much. I do all my washable stuff myself. I agree with menton that pressing/ironing takes long time; I can do one dress shirt in about 20min. The trick that I used is that if I am going to wear suit with a particular dress shirt, I only press neck and front chest which are about 5 min job.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I think it's worth it because I can get any stains out much better than they can, which certainly extends the life of the shirt.

8. caledoniasoul2

caledoniasoul2 Well-Known Member

For those nyers...hallak does a great job albeit ery pricey at 4-5 dollars a pop.I wonder if they hand press or not, but the shirts from them are so far above even the local "hand press' job its not funny.

or those that like math....there is also the hallak collar stay variable which must be added to the equation. Stated otherwise, hallak adds collar stays to the finished shirt.
    If you are like me and dont think that mop or silver collar statys are worth then this a a great time saving factor ....

9. lameduck

lameduck Active Member

Hmmmm... [​IMG] ...um, do all of you guys across the pond get your shirts laundered for you? This is really quite strange to me, as I'm quite sure we all wash and iron our own shirts at home.

10. johnnynorman3

I do my own wash -- have since I was 11 years old and don't see myself changing anytime soon.

11. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

1. It bears remembering that London is notoriously expensive for shirt-laundering. 2. Many people on this site, I'm sure, work in demanding professions that routinely require 70, 80+ hour work weeks. It would be economically inefficient for many of us to launder and iron our own shirts. When I do have free time, I'd rather spend it at restaurants, the theater, etc.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I generally machine wash and drip dry my dress shirts because I view the choice between dry cleaning and commercial laundering as akin to a choice between hanging and firing squad.  If I am forced by time constraints to use a dry cleaner, what method of cleaning should I request to minimize wear?

13. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

14. marc237

marc237 Senior member

I detest laundering and drying things. I work long-hours and do not view that sort of thing as a fun recreational activity. [Yet, I enjoy painting walls and find it therapeutic.]

Accordingly, I will virtually always opt to have someone else launder and, if necessary, replace stuff that wears out more quickly.

15. johnnynorman3

C,

This is a good excuse to buy more shirts -- you could find 3 hours every 3 weeks to throw in 15 shirts in a cold wash cycle and then hang them.