• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is Handstitching better? Why?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is handstitching better? If so, why? I'd assume a machine would be more precise.

Matt S

Reaction score
Simply, machines are better for long straight seams. Handstitching is better for anything where some give is needed. Handstitching also more easily allows for more fabric on one side of the seam than the other. The human hand is far more advanced than any machine.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Simply, machines are better for long straight seams.
They're also better for making pockets, and they're also better for easing fullness and they're also better for basting...

Handstitching is better for anything where some give is needed.
Which is why swimwear, underwear and t-shirts are all sewn by hand, right?

Handstitching also more easily allows for more fabric on one side of the seam than the other.
There are machines which do a much better, more regular and precise job of this than most hands could do.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
They're also better for making pockets, and they're also better for easing fullness and they're also better for basting...

There are machines which do a much better, more regular and precise job of this than most hands could do.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handstitching offers a mystique that people enjoy.

Matt S

Reaction score

I didn't realise machines were this advanced.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't realise machines were this advanced.

We have created machines that can project man into space, land him on the moon, and bring him back again. Making a seam with a bit of elasticity should be a piece of cake, no?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright - who's for starting tuttofattoamacchina.blogspot.com?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
We have created machines that can project man into space, land him on the moon, and bring him back again. Making a seam with a bit of elasticity should be a piece of cake, no?

The capital expense of such machines in a commercial environment implies scales of production unfriendly to the making of individualized tailored clothes exploiting the possibilities for shape, fit and style long mastered by hand crafts.

That many things can be made quickly with qualities exceeding what mind and hand can make one by one is not a direct proof of success.

I preach to the choir, though. I think that the technology exists or can be created to make more highly individualized clothes using automated machines, but there isn't the demand to make that commercially viable.

- B

Icarus

Reaction score
Wait until you try footstitching

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.