• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Global Warming Changing Fashion Trends?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I think it's all way overblown to be honest. The trend is to blame everything that seems to warm or cool on global warming. It's just silly.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Due to the rising sea level caused by the melting polar ice caps, I think wellies will be huge this season.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
photo04.jpg

http://www.thanko.jp/usbnecktie/

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ComboOrgan
Due to the rising sea level caused by the melting polar ice caps, I think wellies will be huge this season.

And Thom Browne suits!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

nmoraitis

Reaction score
So, now that fall is delayed one week, we no longer need sweaters? Do these fashion types not realize fall is several months long? Anyway, I live in Canada, bring on the warm weather!!

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In his first public address this morning after his arrival here in Sydney for the APEC meeting, George Bush made it clear that targeting CO2 emmissions to combat global warming was a serious issue. Why are the rest of you Republicans dragging your heels? Heck, Arnie is a Republican too and he is ahead of the game!

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It raises good points, though the commenter below is on target when he says that some of these changes may be due to our climate-controlled lifestyle - car to office to home, rarely being impacted by the real climate whether it is summer or winter.

Have any of you found that tweed jackets have largely become outer wear - even in winter? With a sweater and scarf, a harris tweed jacket is enough in all but the very coldest periods here in Beijing - a city traditionally regarded as quite cold. It's not really comfortable to wear a tweed jacket indoors due to heating turned up high.

In fact, sacreligious it may be, but I rarely feel genuinely comfortable wearing a suit indoors.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
In his first public address this morning after his arrival here in Sydney for the APEC meeting, George Bush made it clear that targeting CO2 emmissions to combat global warming was a serious issue. Why are the rest of you Republicans dragging your heels? Heck, Arnie is a Republican too and he is ahead of the game!

Frankly, I get the idea that many North Americans have not experienced truly polluted places with very minimal green space and overcrowding. Soon, whether or not climate change is caused by human activity becomes less relevant. The goal simply becomes preventing the world from suffocating.

After spending a few years in a city with serious smog and summers that everyone knows are far hotter than a decade ago, it's hard to continue arrogantly bashing tree-huggers.

dibenetto

Reaction score
i think its a mix of many reasons:
- as the article points out very well season specifics (heavy coats,sweaters,shorts) items tend to survive longer in the closet,are bought in fewer quantity and overall turnover is slower
the exact opposite direction of where manufacturing is heading these days ie:fast turnover,smaller quantity, a lot of basics,stuff you can deliver all the time in any market,very targeted logistics (ZARA and H&M is giving different cuts,quality,style etc in every single market i have studied:north america,asia,france,israel)
by lowering the ''season specifics'' they make it easy for themselves

internet is also a HUGE factor: tons of small operations feeding every conceivable niche,a F1 turnaround,no need to ''go'' shopping, much lighter overheads, incredible customers retention, more personal and efficient customer service, more flexibility.

big retailers have every reason to feel the pressure and change their systems: more flexible,more collection, always more ...........
PR just found a good speech to cover up retailers evolution.........CLIMATE CHANGE!!!

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say yes,

now we have clothes made of hemp/bamboo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads