• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Gin or Vodka a gentleman's drink?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had people tell me Gin or Vodka with tonic are for ladies. Is there any truth in this?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not at all!

A gin gimlet, however, is a more original alternative.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
I had people tell me Gin or Vodka with tonic are for ladies. Is there any truth in this?

No, not at all. Maybe either with diet tonic, but otherwise no.

aybojs

Reaction score
I say gin is a quintessential gentleman's spirit, vodka's more for people who just want to get drunk but don't like to taste their alcohol. I have a real pet peeve for watering down classic gin drinks with vodka (e.g. G&T, gimlet, tom collins, etc.), so I'd say that something like a vodka-tonic is kind of borderline. Once you get to the fruit juice drinks you're definitely entering feminine territory.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Belvedere on the rocks with a twist of lime (forget Grey Goose - taste like rubbing alcohol straight up).

Vodka tonics taste better with premium vodka. I don't think there is anything wrong with diet tonic - it's less calories if you're actually concerned with that stuff; but I would think diet tonic is not readily available at most bars/clubs.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gin is very classic and British. I wager the people who told you gin was for females were Americans, as I seem to notice they don't like gin much.

Vodka is also classic although it tends to be Slavic in tradition.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
both are for men. the confusion comes when you mix them with strange things. very little is as masculine as an ice cold bottle of vodka.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't forget about the other classic, Goldschlauger

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the history of gin drinking

I have been drinking gin for quite some time and don't want to be mistaken for Mr. metro-pants.

psykon99

Reaction score
My favorite drink is a vodka martini, dry, straight up - especially when preceded by a tall Hackor Pshorr (sp?).

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
nothing grows chest hair for me than a shot of vodka straight, specially if you want to forget some girl.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame

I would say no. A Gin & Tonic is noted as the most frequent drink of military men, and being a former US Army officer, I would know.

I however, now prefer vodka. I have my martinis made with Chopin vodka, which is an excellent potato vodka from Poland.

M8

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
I have my martinis made with Chopin vodka, which is an excellent potato vodka from Poland.

With all due respect to Polish distillers and to your liquor predilections, if your drink is concocted with vodka, it ain't a martini.

mr_economy

Reaction score
Gin & Tonic is a classic man's drink, I can't imagine why someone might find it otherwise. My experience of alcohol may be a bit off as I'm in college, but I find very few of my fellow college students know or appreciate much about alcohol. They want little more than to be drunken fools off whatever they can get for less than $10 in a plastic bottle.

My collection is comprised of four main bottles: Level and Belvedere vodka, and Bombaby Sapphire and Tanqueray gin. I used to be a vodka lush, mixing it with whatever I could find. Then I found that I actually liked the taste of a good dry vodka martini. But as I have explored the world of gin I've gained a sincere appreciation for the complexity of the spirit as opposed to vodka. It seems as thought the American ideal for vodka is the taste of water with all the drunkenness. Gin, on the other hand, is a spirit you want to taste. This is why a G&T is always going to be superior to a vodka tonic.

I also think a large reason for the American disdain for gin is the prevalence of extremely cheap gin. In my experience, McCormick's gin tastes like what I might imagine a Christmas tree tasting like. But Tanqueray I can sip all evening. I would say gin & tonic is my preferred drink, but a good martini works just about anytime as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics