• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is fitness more important than fashion?

bob99

Reaction score
When it boils down to it, I think it's more important to be fit and healthy than fashionable. Allow me to elaborate, using two fictitious guys as our subjects:

Guy #1 - is in very good shape, dressed in regular Levis and and a plain white T.
Guy #2 - is 30 lbs overweight, dressed in MMM / Dior / whatever floats your boat.

I think that 95% of people would say that Guy #1 looks "better", since no amount of $800 trousers are hiding the fact that you're fat.

Consider any fashion ad in the history of clothing - it's always an image of a fit, healthy guy modelling the clothes. Obviously. Imagine all the ads in a magazine if the clothes were being modelled by guys with 40+ inch waists. No matter what the brand, it would look terrible. It would be distracting. Any designer who did that would probably be criticized in the press for picking on fat people. I don't think most clothes are even designed to be worn "fat". They're designed to be worn by someone with slimmer "ideal" proportions.

Thankfully, this is not an either / or choice. You don't need to choose between fitness OR fashion. Hopefully you're working on getting in shape at the same time as you're picking up interesting pieces to create a unique wardrobe.

I'm not hating on fat people, but I am hating on being fat. I've been there (40+ lbs overweight, down to 170 from 215) and no matter what, it's hard to feel good about the way you look when you're fat. I remember being in a fitting room looking at my gut, thinking that I needed to change my ways... and I did! But buying and wearing nice clothes has never been more fun now that I'm in shape.

So, fashion or fitness?

aleeboy

Reaction score
Yes, not being lazy is a more important trait than being well dressed.

I have grown to loathe fat people as I know that they are stuffing their faces with processed foods and eating junk foods on the regular with their Diet Cokes.

I'll take a fit guy in Uniqlo over a slob in RLPL.

fight[1].gif

Booyah!

Apologies for being non PC about this...

timotune

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
without a great body shape, clothes will not look good on you. Being fit and wearing good fitting clothes is the most important thing for me.
Imho you can see this by looking at the douce of the WAYWT-thread, who always posts what expensive clothes he is wearing (brioni, armani etc) but the fit of his clothes is very bad, so it looks like ****.

srendam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy

I have grown to loathe fat people as I know that they are stuffing their faces with processed foods and eating junk foods on the regular with their Diet Cokes.

I'll take a fit guy in Uniqlo over a slob in RLPL.

fight[1].gif

Booyah!

Apologies for being non PC about this...

Completely agree. Once you get onto a healthy diet you wont ever crave coke.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this isn't even arguable.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy

Really, you loathe them? Of course fat people would look better if they were not fat. But every one of us is less good than we could be in a thousand different ways. If we were all less "lazy," we could be better in a couple of those thousand ways. But still, we'd be less good than we could be. I just don't understand loathing people who are less good than they could be in the way of physical appearance. Their being fat does no wrong to me.

(No, I am not fat.)

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It depends on how fat the person is. Overweight is no problem, I don't judge people who overindulge a little. Obese people, on the other hand, can disgust me. Especially when they don't put any thought into trying to hide it or cover themselves up properly. There are XXXL people who carry themselves well and dress appropriately, but they are rare. It seems once people reach that upper limit they let themselves go and turn into a giant blob.

But fitness is never an excuse to dress poorly. Consider the Jersey Shore people, who are very fit, but dress like trash and look like trash.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Really, you loathe them? Of course fat people would look better if they were not fat. But every one of us is less good than we could be in a thousand different ways. If we were all less "lazy," we could be better in a couple of those thousand ways. But still, we'd be less good than we could be. I just don't understand loathing people who are less good than they could be in the way of physical appearance. Their being fat does no wrong to me.

(No, I am not fat.)

I do feel sorry for people who are overweight. I live in Asia, I haven't seen obese people for a long time. I do however, see very soft bodied young people who make an effort to dress well. I think if they put as much effort into caring for their body over what they put on, then they can make a real positive change. Let's be real, being overweight is not good.

I have poor genetics and gain weight very easily. I love eating, so I set aside time to exercise no matter what. This is why I have grown to loathe fat / overweight people. They just appear very lazy and not worried about their health. Plus, when they eat lunch and consume over what their body really needs, it makes me rage at their lack of control.

There should be no PC imparted on overweight people
bounce2.gif

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
It depends on how fat the person is. Overweight is no problem, I don't judge people who overindulge a little. Obese people, on the other hand, can disgust me. Especially when they don't put any thought into trying to hide it or cover themselves up properly. There are XXXL people who carry themselves well and dress appropriately, but they are rare. It seems once people reach that upper limit they let themselves go and turn into a giant blob.

But fitness is never an excuse to dress poorly. Consider the Jersey Shore people, who are very fit, but dress like trash and look like trash.

Much prefer this than overweight people who dress to impress.

They should eat less to impress IMHO.

Just don't like the mass of soft bodied people around. They act like big guys too LOL. We need to start a global campaign to slam these people into submission that it's not ok to be a softy. This is the mistake that has been made in the past. Now look at the excess lard in the Western world.

I live in Asia, and it is rare to see an overweight person here. The only exception is Singapore, which is the most Westernised "Asian" country.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srendam
Completely agree. Once you get onto a healthy diet you wont ever crave coke.

I drink Coke and drink coffee with sugar.

Heck, I just finished a night out with a splendid Big Mac meal with sugar filled Coke. But you know what? I put in at least 4 hours a week sweating ****** off at the gym.

Fat people do not know moderation. This is why I loathe them and laugh at all there binge eating and diet cokes.

Greed will take them down.

Sorry for my vent. It's rather upsetting to see people let themselves go. Expecially the younger ones
frown.gif

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
this isn't even arguable.
Yep. I curb my envy of stylish posters when I realize they have 36 inch concave chests and look like ET when nude.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is stupid. are you just trying to make yourself feel better or something? theres a difference between being fashionable and high fashion labels. you can still look fashionable in a pair of levis and a t shirt. you can also look like an idiot in diors and mmm. this is a dumbass mutahfuckin god dam thread!

NoStyle14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Yep. I curb my envy of stylish posters when I realize they have 36 inch concave chests and look like ET when nude.

hey you cock. i have a 36 inch chest but it sure as hell ain't concave! sala!
smile.gif

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the main concern (like mine) is getting chicks it's not as obvious as you think. Many women would much rather date a chunky guy who looks put together/succesful/adult rather than an inshape looking kid/fuckup. So I suppose the question is important to whom?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads