• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Ferrari remaking the Dino?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know if Ferrari is remaking the Dino? There has been a plethora of rumors floating around as of late. Is it worth it for Ferrari to go down market? Will its image tarnish because of it?

Jon.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I have also read that. Zipj83 probably has some info about it. As for tarnishing their image, I don't see how. If they pul this off, they will be able to capture some of the market of the "cheap" exotics - like Porsche, Aston & the like...

You know what, they could be a funnel to the rest of the models. Sort of like Scion is for Toyota/Lexus!
peepwall[1].gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Dino 246 is too much a classic for them to remake it. Rehashing classics is almost always a bad idea unless the company makes very advanced items and wants to introduce an "heritage model".

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard front-engine, retractable hard-top.

I personally think it's a silly idea.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the original owners of Dinos were surprised by a lack of any external "Ferrari" identification on the cars. Note today how many of the cars carry add-on Ferrari script on the panel between the taillamps.

A neighbor bought a new Dino GTS in 1974 from the then Ferrari dealer, Midway Motors, in San Diego. He selected one without the so-called wheel arch flairs. Wisely he did choose the Daytona style seats. The retail cost for the car was slightly more than $18,000!!!!!!!!!

The car was delivered to San Diego by being driven from the distributor's warehouse in the Reno area. When it arrived, my neighbor was heartbroken because there was no external Ferrari badging. Less than a year later, after a minor traffic collision, he had the nose metal redone to replace the horizontal Dino badge with the vertical Ferrari badge. Yes, he also had the chrome "Ferrari" script added to the rear panel.

My favorite Dinos were the little racing 206 SPs from the mid-1960s. Of course, many of the styling cues for the production 246 Dino came from the 206. They seemed to be miniature P2/3s. They are simply gorgeous.

Dino206SP.jpg

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full Canvas - I agree. I love them! I they are so tiny - I am one of the few people who could actualy fit in them, I think.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
The advantage of being 5'-7", no?

Jon.

Definitely. There aren't many! My father, who is 5'3" and was in combat, always used to say that when the bullets and shrapnel start to fly, you are also be happy to be small - smaller target.
shog[1].gif

saunderscc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Anyone know if Ferrari is remaking the Dino? There has been a plethora of rumors floating around as of late. Is it worth it for Ferrari to go down market? Will its image tarnish because of it?

Jon.

Recent AutoWeek says Dino is a go. Possibly based on the new Alfa. It will be a Dino, not a Ferrari. Just like a Maserati is not a Ferrari. On the other hand, they're all Fiat's. YIKES!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads