• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Family Guy funny?

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Wait, what do you guys find funny? Do you require a plot with your jokes, or do you just not like the jokes themselves?
I find some random scenes in Family Guy funny but if you require a plot with your jokes, FG is not the show for you. I usually can't sit through an entire episode.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ironic that people criticize Family Guy for mocking without wit, all the while the criticisms are even less witty. You'd think that people who are snobby about their humor would be a little more funny.
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
I find some random scenes in Family Guy funny but if you require a plot with your jokes, FG is not the show for you. I usually can't sit through an entire episode.
I can understand unwatchable or too hit-or-miss, but unfunny? The show is a catalogue of jokes.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wait, what do you guys find funny? Do you require a plot with your jokes, or do you just not like the jokes themselves?
Arrested Development, UK Office, sometimes CYE. Deal with it, I have better taste than you in comedy. Nothing to be ashamed of. Just like how you are better at math than me because you are azn.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Family Guy is general fantastic. I really enjoyed last night's episode. Sorry you all suck.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
you are such a cliche.

A cliche with good taste in comedy. Nothing to be ashamed of. Kind of how you have good taste in ****-covered wheat-based pastas.

Opermann

Reaction score
I laugh at many of the FG jokes but too many of them either fall flat or are in bad taste. This is some clever writing in some of the episodes, and some funny characters. Some of the cutaway jokes are fantastic but have little to do with the story.

If Family Guy could make the audience actually care about the characters instead of presenting them as hollow stereotypes most of the time, it might cater to a wider audience. Unfotunately, they rarely surpass the crudeness of the jokes they deliver.

There's also the problem of blatant Simpsons theft. The other day I saw a FG that completely copied the Simpson's episode where Marge gets addicted to gambling. Except the FG version was terrible and hardly did justice to it at all, and it fell flat at the end (like they always do). MacFarlane may be a good joke writer and talented voice actor, but he's a terrible storyteller.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does it mean if I like CYE, FG, AD and The Office (US), hate The Office (UK), and hate The Simpsons? Am I less of a man? Also I recommend everyone check out That Mitchell and Webb Look, and the other works of Mitchell and Webb. Amazing stuff. Actually, deserves its own thread.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Arrested Development, UK Office, sometimes CYE. Deal with it, I have better taste than you in comedy. Nothing to be ashamed of. Just like how you are better at math than me because you are azn.

I like those shows too, except for Arrested Development, which I just have never seen? v
smile.gif
v

I think people are backlashing against Family Guy for all the wrong reasons. It got cancelled and had to live up to the expectations of an amazing cancelled show coming back. Then McFarlane oversaturation happened between syndication, American Dad, and the Cleveland Show. Now it's cool to rail against Family guy. I can see where the references could get tiresome or that the jokes can be hit or miss, but the other reasons don't really make the show unfunny.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like those shows too, except for Arrested Development, which I just have never seen? v
smile.gif
v

I think people are backlashing against Family Guy for all the wrong reasons. It got cancelled and had to live up to the expectations of an amazing cancelled show coming back. Then McFarlane oversaturation happened between syndication, American Dad, and the Cleveland Show. Now it's cool to rail against Family guy. I can see where the references could get tiresome or that the jokes can be hit or miss, but the other reasons don't really make the show unfunny.

You're right - I liked it when it was new and I was younger, but now it just tries too hard to be random. The thing is, a lot of people think they are intelligent for liking it since it is a slightly more complex brand of humor than say, "Everybody Loves Raymond". It is just so predictable in its randomness that it becomes quite annoying. I don't watch it a lot anymore but this could be something that has only happened in recent seasons, I don't know.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hah, I never thought anyone could think themselves smarter for liking Family Guy, only more ADHD or terrible. I don't know very many people though.

Seth seems to have become aware of what made his show a hit, and that was that Family Guy was just a vessel for irreverent and observational jokes along with pop-culture references.

Look at American Dad. It has the same style of humor, but it has a lot of the elements that everyone thinks that Family Guy lacks. But everyone hates American Dad, even people who like Family Guy. Except me, I like American Dad.

So maybe the more jokes and references, the better, or maybe Seth is just terrible at storytelling and writing characters with depth, but then, is that at all congruent with his style of humor? How can you have characters that you can relate to and care about while being truly irreverent?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American Dad has grown on me. It's a hell of a lot better than the yawnfest that was King of the Hill.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Aside from the fact that most of what passes as humor on Family Guy is just rehashed internet meme abuse, everything is always trying way too hard to be funny and falls flat 90% of the time.

The first 2 seasons certainly had their moments. Anything after that and I'd rather just not watch the TV if it's on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads