• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Europe Secretly Booming? Report from Vienna

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I intend to be in Vienna for a few weeks in May, and was interested in getting a suit made at Knize. I received an email from them this morning stating that due to high demand they have stopped accepting new bespoke customers (suits, btw, start at 6,000 euros). Maybe the rebound is coming!

On a more serious note, does anyone know anything about Niedersuesz - C.M. Frank (run by the son of the owner of Knize) and Netousek?

Thanks,
Gramm

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The WSJ ran an article last summer on bespoke makers in Vienna - may be worth a look.

Wilhelm Jungmann & Neffe (the famous fabric store) also has a couple of in-house tailors at supposedly reasonable prices for Vienna.

Good to hear that a grand old name like Knize is doing well. Will you be hitting up Scheer for bespoke shoes?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Netousek and Niederszüss are highly regarded among some of my peeps.
and one shouldn't miss out the famous shoemakers, imo.

Thanks. Would you know anything about the tailors at Jungmann? And any way to get into Knize? - had my heart set on a suit from them :(

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even if Knize isn't accepting new bespoke customers ... go and take a look at their ties. I'd be willing to bet that 25% of mine are from there.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Even if Knize isn't accepting new bespoke customers ... go and take a look at their ties. I'd be willing to bet that 25% of mine are from there.

actually, i'm not on the latest information. i've been there with binge around a year ago and they would have accepted a shirt order. iirc, they have a minimum of six.

i would be surprised that they have a stop. i can imagine that like scheer you have to face a rather long turn around. anyway, we'll see.

there's a lot of water flowing down the danube, as the viennese use to say.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the story continues...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
gramm.

besides the train, you can chose the ferry for commute.

regarding shoemakers.

well scheer is the most popular. it's not easy to get on their list and the turn around is rather long. also, i guess they will refuse to make a pair without personal fittings. keep this in mind.

also they don't stock an inventory of sample shoes, which can be bought if you cannot find a possibility to return to them.

companies to consider are balint, materna, maftei, which all have been used from several members here.

hope this helps.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Doubtful. Vienna is just a severely overpriced city.

While it's true that Vienna can be expensive by comparison to some other parts of the world, it's certainly not overpriced when compaired to other significant European cities that offer beautifully made clothing items and accessories ... with a significant share tailored/made/cobbled locally. Of course, when you buy quality -- particularly that which is handmade -- you must pay the going local rates. When I visit Vienna -- which isn't often enough -- I certainly take the opportunity to shop as it offers very sophisticated sartorial items* which can't easily be found elsewhere. And shopping for clothing items is not not something I think worthwhile in most places ... with exceptions: New York, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Naples, etc.

I also enjoy the dining in Vienna. Can you say Steirereck?

* And no B--, I'm not talking about items with a Tyrolean Theme ... although a bit of loden can improve any wardrobe.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

While it's true that Vienna can be expensive by comparison to some other parts of the world,

hmmh, difficult task, imo.

I also enjoy the dining in Vienna. Can you say Steirereck?

you really kno2Fquote]

you really know the places.

thank you for the nice write up.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Next time I plan a trip that way, I'll let you know. I owe you a dinner at the very least!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads