• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is econometrics the hardest undergrad class i will ever take?

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rdawson808;1919956 said:
Wait, didn't we have a chat once a couple years back where it came out you work(ed) with Tirole? And Laffont, maybe?/QUOTE]

<--- Impressed. And Jealous.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason, I don't remember what classes I took in undergrad. I just remember being asleep most of the time. I'm pretty sure that my worst grade was in Advanced Russian.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The highest level of philosophy of logic was difficult. We did set theory, etc and generally showed why certain logical systems did not work. Prof was a jerk too, but that loveable kind of jerk who you SUPER-respect but also are very afraid of. I was always on his good side, so I liked him a lot. He even gave me a rec for law school.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Wait, didn't we have a chat once a couple years back where it came out you work(ed) with Tirole? And Laffont, maybe?
Tirole was my advisor.

Yeah, you're waaaay smater than me. I made a good liberal arts college teacher and make a good fed. economist. But I'm no academic all star.
Trust me, I am not either. I make a decent Treasury economist, but I have not even completed my PhD. If I ever do, it won't be anywhere close to academic all star.

FromCAtoCO

Reaction score
Just took Econmetrics this last year. Graduated on 08. Hard class. But having an armenian who speaks poor english makes it that much worse.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with everyone who said physics pwns metrics...I'm not going to say the latter is easy, but I knew some less than stellar students who took it and killed it. If you have any kind of mind for econ/math, you're probably cool.

I took honors physics in high school (before AP was available), and have stayed running in the other direction ever since. And that's just some basic ****. Although I'm not the brightest bulb in the house...

mathwk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I guess nobody in this thread has taken advanced billiards for their phys ed requirement
sarcasm.gif

I wish.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
depends on how hardcore you want to be, take real analysis if you want to enjoy the real fun, add a bit measure theory and functional analysis afterwards would make life just that much better...

greasypeanut

Reaction score
hope for a good curve if your teacher gives u one at all :) helped me a lot last quarter when i took it

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Economics at undergraduate level is not that mathematical in most school, but at phd level the math is just as hard as any apply math.

Not all physics major are created equal
tongue.gif
, some are more theoretical (thus mathematical) some are more experimental.

qianwen

Reaction score
Undergrad econometrics isn't terribly difficult compared to real analysis.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I recall, the only hard part about my econometrics class was this ridiculous computer program we were forced to use. Also, I took it as a senior after having been accepted to medical school, so not giving a **** probably contributed significantly to the &quot;difficulty.&quot;

Motol12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FromCAtoCO
Just took Econmetrics this last year. Graduated on 08. Hard class. But having an armenian who speaks poor english makes it that much worse.

This brought back a question I've always had about higher education. Why the hell do colleges love throwing undergraduate students to the proverbial wolves of professors who can't speak functional English?

I remember my junior year I took what I had been told was an easy course, "African-American Philosophical Studies." It turned out to be taught by an actual African who spoke in thickly accented, broken English and communicated via bizarre gesticulation.

Do any of SF's resident academics care to shed some light on this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads