is econometrics the hardest undergrad class i will ever take?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ppllzz, Mar 20, 2009.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Or maybe you just took state-school econometrics. [​IMG]

University of Chicago metrics...

2. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Depends on what you are majoring in. If its economics (and I am assuming it is if you are taking econometrics), chances are no, it won't be the hardest undergraduate class you take.

+1000. As an undergraduate, probably the hardest class I had was Quantum Mechanics because it is really important to get a good teacher - you have to learn to think very differently from classical mechanics and my instructor wasn't very good.

In grad school, as a EE major, the hardest classes I took were Solid State Physics II and Electromagnetics using J.D. Jackson as the text. It is one of those things like being in military combat - it is not easy to describe how tough it is but everyone who has done it will nod in agreement.

3. otc

otc Senior member

Some of the assignments in Computer Systems were really hard but they were designed that way (binary logic puzzles) or just very new/different material with little outside resources (assignments involving decompiling/assembly code insertion/buffer overflows).

You can really do some crazy shit with pointers

4. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Theoretical or applied?

I have nothing kind to say about theoretical econometrics but liked my applied 'metrics course. They were also doctoral, not undergrad.

This is what I remember about theoretical 'metrics: the delta method. Mind you, not what it is, just the name. On the other hand, I seem to remember enough about applied 'metrics to worry when I see regression results--sometimes things just feel wrong. And then I can figure it out.

But you could try Game Theory. It can be very hard. Or really easy.

b

5. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

University of Chicago metrics...

Ah makes sense. I was thinking more along lines of Ivy League econometrics. Makes sense that it was a little easier for you! [​IMG]

Theoretical or applied?

I have nothing kind to say about theoretical econometrics but liked my applied 'metrics course. They were also doctoral, not undergrad.

This is what I remember about theoretical 'metrics: the delta method. Mind you, not what it is, just the name. On the other hand, I seem to remember enough about applied 'metrics to worry when I see regression results--sometimes things just feel wrong. And then I can figure it out.

True. Applied econometrics is reasonable; the theory makes me vomit.

6. DNW

DNW Senior member

Ah makes sense. I was thinking more along lines of Ivy League econometrics. Makes sense that it was a little easier for you! [​IMG]

Oh, snap!

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I hated game theory. Hated it with an absolute passion. I think I lasted three weeks in that class. Oh, I never took econometrics in school, because I have an unnatural hatred for statistics.

8. DNW

DNW Senior member

I hated game theory. Hated it with an absolute passion. I think I lasted three weeks in that class.

I think that might depend on the Prof. I, for one, loved Game Theory in my Industrial Organization class. It had the flavor of Freakonomics.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I think that might depend on the Prof. I, for one, loved Game Theory in my Industrial Organization class. It had the flavor of Freakonomics.
    I actually like the subject, I just hated the class, so you are probably right as to why.

10. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

I actually like the subject, I just hated the class, so you are probably right as to why.
    The last econs class I took in undergrad studies was Developmental Economics. It had all the makings of a really interesting course and subject, but the lecturer was just horrible and put me of the entire field for at least 10 years. Actually, I almost wish I hadn't had so many good history lecturers ....

11. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

The hardest I've taken is 20th century British & Irish poetry. [​IMG]

12. DNW

DNW Senior member

You'll disappoint me if you say you were sober for most of that class.

13. whacked

whacked Senior member

No shame there. Were I required to take that class, I'd think the same. I detest high volumes of coerced reading; Intro to Comparative Lit is one of my worse college experience.

14. jerms24k

jerms24k Senior member

All of my econ classes were easy for me. It was the classes outside of my major I did bad in...probably because they required attendance.

15. DNW

DNW Senior member

No shame there. Were I required to take that class, I'd think the same. I detest high volumes of coerced reading; Intro to Comparative Lit is one of my worse college experience.

I got my second worst grade in undergrad in a comparative literature class. The Prof was an uppity tool, and I thought the subject--the comparative study of the nature of Evil in literature--was a fucking colossal waste of my time.