1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

is econometrics the hardest undergrad class i will ever take?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ppllzz, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

The hardest I've taken is 20th century British & Irish poetry. [​IMG]

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

You'll disappoint me if you say you were sober for most of that class.

3. whacked

whacked Senior member

No shame there. Were I required to take that class, I'd think the same. I detest high volumes of coerced reading; Intro to Comparative Lit is one of my worse college experience.

4. jerms24k

jerms24k Senior member

All of my econ classes were easy for me. It was the classes outside of my major I did bad in...probably because they required attendance.

5. DNW

DNW Senior member

No shame there. Were I required to take that class, I'd think the same. I detest high volumes of coerced reading; Intro to Comparative Lit is one of my worse college experience.

I got my second worst grade in undergrad in a comparative literature class. The Prof was an uppity tool, and I thought the subject--the comparative study of the nature of Evil in literature--was a fucking colossal waste of my time.

6. dusty

dusty Senior member

Quantum mechanics for me, at least conceptually.

7. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I actually got a B in that poetry class because, even though I turned in a paper that the professor wanted to use for his next book, I missed out on a few classes and he was the type who was personally offended by such behavior. [​IMG]

8. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Quantum mechanics for me, at least conceptually.

Isn't it amazing? Once you get it, it's almost like someone flipped a switch in your brain and it is the most elegant and beautiful thing every conceived, but until then if you don't have a good teacher explaining the quantum analogs of classical mechanics, it is hard work!

9. Invicta

Invicta Senior member

Nothing is worse than analysis.

LIES! Analysis was a pleasing walk in the intellectual playground compared to harmonic analysis and partial differential equations. I remember combinatorics being unpleasent as well.

Now, particle dynamics, fluid dynamics, and frankly, anything with "dynamics" in it--that's a whole different level of shit.

While Harmonic and PDE were torturous, they were interesting and so I didn't mind them as much. My hardest, least rewarding class outside of the "core" liberal arts courses I took was Electricity and Magnetism. I still remember a homework assignment where I wrote up a 4-page solution to a single equation and the answer was "0". I had to work very hard not set my professor on fire for that one.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think that might depend on the Prof. I, for one, loved Game Theory in my Industrial Organization class. It had the flavor of Freakonomics.
    I took it as a math, and not an econ course, fwiw. That was probably a mistake.

11. surrender

surrender Senior member

My university gave us the option of taking either econometrics or game theory. I was very, very glad that I opted for the latter

12. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I hated game theory. Hated it with an absolute passion. I think I lasted three weeks in that class. Oh, I never took econometrics in school, because I have an unnatural hatred for statistics.

I took game theory as an undergrad and loved it. It could have been harder. I taught it (even an honors version) and enjoyed it. But, again, it could have been harder.

My doctoral game theory was laughably hard. We left every single class confused. We prayed we would remember enough to get through the next assignment. It was so highly mathematical we were just swimming over our heads. Good times!

b

13. otc

otc Senior member

My university gave us the option of taking either econometrics or game theory. I was very, very glad that I opted for the latter

That seems like a cop out option (no offence to you, it sounds AWESOME as a student). How can you claim to have a credible econ program if you don't make people a fundamental class like econometrics? there isn't really much econ to econometrics, it is more of a stat class that tells you how to deal with data you might encounter in economics--it's a tool. Game theory seems much more optional...it's cool (and would also qualify as a tool) but seems unimportant when compared to proper handling of data sets

14. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

That seems like a cop out option (no offence to you, it sounds AWESOME as a student). How can you claim to have a credible econ program if you don't make people a fundamental class like econometrics? there isn't really much econ to econometrics, it is more of a stat class that tells you how to deal with data you might encounter in economics--it's a tool. Game theory seems much more optional...it's cool (and would also qualify as a tool) but seems unimportant when compared to proper handling of data sets

It all depends on what you want to do. Econometrics is a core methodology in econ. You must be able to analyze data. But Game Theory is an equaly valid methodology. It's just theoretical (though it can be tested in a lab setting); it allows you to model behavior in an important way.

For most students the choice of game theory of 'metrics isn't much of a choice--they are both classes to be avoided. Though I'd think more would avoid game theory just because 'metrics seems more "useful." I could be wrong.

b

15. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I think that might depend on the Prof. I, for one, loved Game Theory in my Industrial Organization class. It had the flavor of Freakonomics.

I'm curious: how deeply did you get into it? I never got too deep into game theory when teaching IO because there wasn't time or the need. But a straight game theory class is much mroe in-depth (obviously).

b

16. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

I hated game theory. Hated it with an absolute passion. I think I lasted three weeks in that class. Oh, I never took econometrics in school, because I have an unnatural hatred for statistics.

maybe you should audit an information theory class @ cal sometimes. its fun and full of high level statistics that would make most economist's brain explode

17. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

It was so highly mathematical we were just swimming over our heads. Good times! b
    This was my problem. I took it, as I said above, in the math department, so not only did it have almost no application, but when it did the applications included things like biology about which I know exactly zero. Anyway, that was only the first two weeks of the quarter, so I can't say if it got better after I quit. I didn't need to take it, though, and only started because the name sounded fun.
    maybe you should audit an information theory class @ cal sometimes. its fun and full of high level statistics that would make most economist's brain explode
    Thanks, but I think I would prefer to be barbecued alive.

18. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

how much partial credit will i get for

"i know this is the wrong answer, but i ran out of time and wrote it so i could get some partial credit..."

i also messed up interpreting stata output, probably the dumbest mistakes i have made in my college career

i officially hate econometrics with all my heart, though i hear that the final will be easier since it will have a lot more application. sigh.

SIGH.

SIGH!!!

heres to hoping for a really, really, really, really huge curve.

and to the person who said there are harder econ classes than econometrics for undergrads, what are they?

19. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

how much partial credit will i get for

"i know this is the wrong answer, but i ran out of time and wrote it so i could get some partial credit..."

i also messed up interpreting stata output, probably the dumbest mistakes i have made in my college career

i officially hate econometrics with all my heart, though i hear that the final will be easier since it will have a lot more application. sigh.

SIGH.

SIGH!!!

heres to hoping for a really, really, really, really huge curve.

and to the person who said there are harder econ classes than econometrics for undergrads, what are they?

For some, mathematical economics can be a fucken (sic) bruiser.. Econometrics (applied) can be intuitive, whereas using lagrange multipliers to optimize functions can be, somewhat less intuitive.. Also, advanced microeconomics that goes well beyond the stylistic interpretation of microeconomic principles and relies for heavily on mathematics was also fairly challenging, at least to someone who found econometrics generally intuitive..

20. merkur

merkur Senior member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011