is econometrics the hardest undergrad class i will ever take?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ppllzz, Mar 20, 2009.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

It was the hardest I took. I had no idea what was going on. Heteroskedasticity my ass. I think I ended up getting a B-, or maybe even a C+?

2. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

I think the question was about econometrics, not analysis.

Oops, thought your comments was in relation to analysis.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

For some reason, I always wanted to take econometrics in college. After reading the first page of this thread, thank god I didn't

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

The hardest class you will take will be an 8 am on either Monday morning or whatever morning is after $2 pitcher & $1 shooter night.

The professionals build their class schedule around specials nights at the bars

K

Mine was Latin. 8 AM Monday through Friday. I think the second semester, once I realized I was transferring anyway, I only went to Latin on the first day and the final. My professor laughed when she saw me walk through the door for the final. [​IMG]

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Depends on what you are majoring in. If its economics (and I am assuming it is if you are taking econometrics), chances are no, it won't be the hardest undergraduate class you take.

6. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Mine was Latin. 8 AM Monday through Friday. I think the second semester, once I realized I was transferring anyway, I only went to Latin on the first day and the final. My professor laughed when she saw me walk through the door for the final. [​IMG]

I gave up Latin after high school. Realized that knowing a dead language wasnt going to get me chicks or money. Instead I majored in partying like a rock star and minored in business.

K

7. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

Organic was pretty easy for me, but I had a very solid grounding in physics when I took organic. Numerical analysis is just math with a computer, and thus, easy. All my math classes were pretty easy actually. I never took econometrics so I have no idea about that.

My worst class was sociology 101. Probably 75% of the class was pure BS. I got real good at searching for research literature (that was newer than the crap he was throwing out), and citing those articles on the exams to spite the professor. In return, he gave me a solid C+.

8. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

hmm thats true. i took intro chem and bio and promptly decided premed was not for me. i have heard stories about orgo.

Same here. I dropped pre-med after taking orgo. I'm now a CPA.

9. briancl

briancl Senior member

Combinatorics in the computer science track. Ugh. That was the hardest. My worst grade? Psych 101.

10. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Philosophy of Language was pretty hard for me.

12. DNW

DNW Senior member

Econometrics is only difficult because they have all those funny names that you have to remember. The math itself is fairly simple.

Now, particle dynamics, fluid dynamics, and frankly, anything with "dynamics" in it--that's a whole different level of shit.

13. otc

otc Senior member

I didn't think metrics was so bad (altough it was a year ago and I already remember little) but it can also depend on how theoretical you get. I was much better with the with the more practical questions and STATA work than proving shit...

As for difficulty, I'm not sure. I know that lots of people find it hard but it wasn't the ass-rape session that people make it out to be. Going by grades (a bad measure though...) my hardest class was "Population and the Economy" as taught by a very old nobel prize winner. It was very interesting and most of the concepts weren't hard, but there was a ton of reading and instead of testing concepts, the exams liked to ask specific questions about what author-X wrote (despite the fact that the lectures were all about concepts).

I withdrew from a math class once but I don't know that it was harder than metrics. More like a a combination of awful professor, awful textbook, and the fact that I changed from pysics to econ and the class was no longer requried (and when I covered the material in other classes it was fine).

14. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Y'allz is some smart fuckers. Or maybe you just took state-school econometrics. [​IMG]

15. whacked

whacked Senior member

Econometrics is only difficult because they have all those funny names that you have to remember. The math itself is fairly simple.

Now, particle dynamics, fluid dynamics, and frankly, anything with "dynamics" in it--that's a whole different level of shit.

Agreed on both points. It never ceases to amaze me how much shit engineering, and to a similar degree, pre-med majors have to go through.

Y'allz is some smart fuckers. Or maybe you just took state-school econometrics. [​IMG]

On the Internetz everyone has 145 IQ and 10" dick, did you forget?