1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

is econometrics the hardest undergrad class i will ever take?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ppllzz, Mar 20, 2009.

1. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

Mine was Latin. 8 AM Monday through Friday. I think the second semester, once I realized I was transferring anyway, I only went to Latin on the first day and the final. My professor laughed when she saw me walk through the door for the final. [​IMG]

I gave up Latin after high school. Realized that knowing a dead language wasnt going to get me chicks or money. Instead I majored in partying like a rock star and minored in business.

K

2. Milhouse

Milhouse Well-Known Member

Organic was pretty easy for me, but I had a very solid grounding in physics when I took organic. Numerical analysis is just math with a computer, and thus, easy. All my math classes were pretty easy actually. I never took econometrics so I have no idea about that.

My worst class was sociology 101. Probably 75% of the class was pure BS. I got real good at searching for research literature (that was newer than the crap he was throwing out), and citing those articles on the exams to spite the professor. In return, he gave me a solid C+.

3. millionaire75

millionaire75 Well-Known Member

hmm thats true. i took intro chem and bio and promptly decided premed was not for me. i have heard stories about orgo.

Same here. I dropped pre-med after taking orgo. I'm now a CPA.

4. briancl

briancl Well-Known Member

Combinatorics in the computer science track. Ugh. That was the hardest. My worst grade? Psych 101.

5. constant struggle

constant struggle Well-Known Member

Signal Processing was always a fun one...

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Philosophy of Language was pretty hard for me.

7. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Econometrics is only difficult because they have all those funny names that you have to remember. The math itself is fairly simple.

Now, particle dynamics, fluid dynamics, and frankly, anything with "dynamics" in it--that's a whole different level of shit.

8. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I didn't think metrics was so bad (altough it was a year ago and I already remember little) but it can also depend on how theoretical you get. I was much better with the with the more practical questions and STATA work than proving shit...

As for difficulty, I'm not sure. I know that lots of people find it hard but it wasn't the ass-rape session that people make it out to be. Going by grades (a bad measure though...) my hardest class was "Population and the Economy" as taught by a very old nobel prize winner. It was very interesting and most of the concepts weren't hard, but there was a ton of reading and instead of testing concepts, the exams liked to ask specific questions about what author-X wrote (despite the fact that the lectures were all about concepts).

I withdrew from a math class once but I don't know that it was harder than metrics. More like a a combination of awful professor, awful textbook, and the fact that I changed from pysics to econ and the class was no longer requried (and when I covered the material in other classes it was fine).

9. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

Y'allz is some smart fuckers. Or maybe you just took state-school econometrics. [​IMG]

10. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

Econometrics is only difficult because they have all those funny names that you have to remember. The math itself is fairly simple.

Now, particle dynamics, fluid dynamics, and frankly, anything with "dynamics" in it--that's a whole different level of shit.

Agreed on both points. It never ceases to amaze me how much shit engineering, and to a similar degree, pre-med majors have to go through.

Y'allz is some smart fuckers. Or maybe you just took state-school econometrics. [​IMG]

On the Internetz everyone has 145 IQ and 10" dick, did you forget?

11. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Or maybe you just took state-school econometrics. [​IMG]

University of Chicago metrics...

12. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Well-Known Member

Depends on what you are majoring in. If its economics (and I am assuming it is if you are taking econometrics), chances are no, it won't be the hardest undergraduate class you take.

+1000. As an undergraduate, probably the hardest class I had was Quantum Mechanics because it is really important to get a good teacher - you have to learn to think very differently from classical mechanics and my instructor wasn't very good.

In grad school, as a EE major, the hardest classes I took were Solid State Physics II and Electromagnetics using J.D. Jackson as the text. It is one of those things like being in military combat - it is not easy to describe how tough it is but everyone who has done it will nod in agreement.

13. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Some of the assignments in Computer Systems were really hard but they were designed that way (binary logic puzzles) or just very new/different material with little outside resources (assignments involving decompiling/assembly code insertion/buffer overflows).

You can really do some crazy shit with pointers

14. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

Theoretical or applied?

I have nothing kind to say about theoretical econometrics but liked my applied 'metrics course. They were also doctoral, not undergrad.

This is what I remember about theoretical 'metrics: the delta method. Mind you, not what it is, just the name. On the other hand, I seem to remember enough about applied 'metrics to worry when I see regression results--sometimes things just feel wrong. And then I can figure it out.

But you could try Game Theory. It can be very hard. Or really easy.

b

15. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

University of Chicago metrics...

Ah makes sense. I was thinking more along lines of Ivy League econometrics. Makes sense that it was a little easier for you! [​IMG]

Theoretical or applied?

I have nothing kind to say about theoretical econometrics but liked my applied 'metrics course. They were also doctoral, not undergrad.

This is what I remember about theoretical 'metrics: the delta method. Mind you, not what it is, just the name. On the other hand, I seem to remember enough about applied 'metrics to worry when I see regression results--sometimes things just feel wrong. And then I can figure it out.

True. Applied econometrics is reasonable; the theory makes me vomit.

16. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

Ah makes sense. I was thinking more along lines of Ivy League econometrics. Makes sense that it was a little easier for you! [​IMG]

Oh, snap!

17. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I hated game theory. Hated it with an absolute passion. I think I lasted three weeks in that class. Oh, I never took econometrics in school, because I have an unnatural hatred for statistics.

18. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

I hated game theory. Hated it with an absolute passion. I think I lasted three weeks in that class.

I think that might depend on the Prof. I, for one, loved Game Theory in my Industrial Organization class. It had the flavor of Freakonomics.

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I think that might depend on the Prof. I, for one, loved Game Theory in my Industrial Organization class. It had the flavor of Freakonomics.
    I actually like the subject, I just hated the class, so you are probably right as to why.

20. JustinW

JustinW Well-Known Member

I actually like the subject, I just hated the class, so you are probably right as to why.
    The last econs class I took in undergrad studies was Developmental Economics. It had all the makings of a really interesting course and subject, but the lecturer was just horrible and put me of the entire field for at least 10 years. Actually, I almost wish I hadn't had so many good history lecturers ....