1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is Diet Coke bad for me?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Matt, Jun 6, 2006.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

Sorry all soda is bad for you diet or not. I'm not going to google studies because it should be common knowledge by now. Sure it's better than regular Coke but still. Going from Coke to Diet Coke is a half-assed attempt that really isn't going to do you any good, like going from Marlboro Reds to Lights.

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Sorry all soda is bad for you diet or not. I'm not going to google studies because it should be common knowledge by now.

How do you figure? What's bad about diet soda? The reason it's not common knowledge by now is because what you are saying has no basis in fact. Regular soda is very bad for you because of the high sugar content. Diet soda has no sugar, no calories, and rehydrates you - I don't really see anything bad about it.

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

I'm not going to argue over such a silly issue. If you want to saturate your body with aspartame, go for it. BTW if regular Coke actually had sugar I might drink it every once in a while. But it doesn't (unless I get the kosher Coke during passover, or Mexican coke).

4. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I'm not going to argue over such a silly issue. If you want to saturate your body with aspartame, go for it. BTW if regular Coke actually had sugar I might drink it every once in a while. But it doesn't (unless I get the kosher Coke during passover, or Mexican coke).

o.k.

5. j

j Senior member Admin

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

J, that cold be because so many people who order a diet soda also order 5 cheeseburgers and extra large curly fries.

Still, I have several overweight friends who have lost serious weight (30-40 lbs) in a matter of months after not drinking sodas, and kept it off with no change to their diets otherwise.

7. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,159579,00.html

(Yes Steve, I know)

Also some doctors think that carbonated beverages may contribute to acid reflux and thereby esophogeal disorders and cancer.

Yeah, I think that a lot of people when drinking diet soda say to themselves "well, I took in less calories now that I drank a diet soda so that means I can eat a little more" and that "little more" that they eat ends up doing them a lot more harm than if they had just drank a regular soda.

Btw, I wouldn't recommend losing weight by switching to diet soda. All I was saying is that I don't think it's necessarily bad for you.

I recently lost about 30 lbs and it had very little to do with drinking diet soda or not. Sensible diet and exercise are the keys.

8. Soph

Soph Senior member

[​IMG]
    I try to drink one of these every day:
    [​IMG]

9. shellshock

shellshock Senior member

soda is bad for you.
    "dark" sodas (except root beer) have phosphoric acid in them....

"Phosphoric acid may be used by direct application to rusted iron or steel tools or surfaces to convert iron(III) oxide (rust) to a water soluble phosphate compound. It is usually available as a greenish liquid, suitable for dipping (acid bath), but is more generally used as a component in a gel, commonly called Naval jelly. As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces. Care must be taken to avoid acid burns of the skin and especially the eyes, but the residue is easily diluted with water."

Anyway, I switched to Iced Green Tea, which has a little bit of caffeine, but has good anti-oxidants, is much much better for hydration. If you like the taste of tea, which not everyone does, I can't recommend it enough.

Also, do you like juices? I find that when I get thirsty, a cranberry cocktail juice or orange juice is just fine.

Soda is just plain awful stuff. If I have kids, it will be one thing I make sure never to let them slip into an addiction of.

tea and juice rules!

and seriously, when i see parents letting their 3 year olds drink soda it makes me so sad. ughh!

10. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Also some doctors think that carbonated beverages may contribute to acid reflux and thereby esophogeal disorders and cancer.

Just anecdotal evidince, but when I drink "too much" (whatever that point is) I definitely get the old heart burn. Horribly.

bob[/I]

11. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

Diet Coke is absolutely horrible for your teeth, even worse than normal Coke. I guess I can't talk, though, as I like to drink Gatorade recreationally. It just tastes insanely good when you've been working out and it's lighter than soda.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Diet Coke is absolutely horrible for your teeth, even worse than normal Coke. I guess I can't talk, though, as I like to drink Gatorade recreationally. It just tastes insanely good when you've been working out and it's lighter than soda.

Water. When working out, drink water.

Jon.

13. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Water. When working out, drink water.

Jon.

For workouts that are under 1 hour you should drink water. For workouts that are over 1 hour you should drink gatorade to replenish electrolytes.

14. TrojanGarb

TrojanGarb Senior member

But isn't everyone missing the point that anything diet tastes absolutely horrendous? Thats the bad for you part... you may choke on your own tongue [​IMG].

Can anyone else taste artificial sweeteners no matter what? Even splenda (which does seem to have a less harsh initial taste) has that nasty aftertaste.

15. Matt

Matt Senior member

a month or so ago I would have agreed with you, but Im developing a taste for it now.

I had half a 'real' Coke today, was just sickly sweet to my newly chemicalled tongue.

Tea - I am in Asia, its unavoidable. 4 years of it and I still havent developed a taste for it. Cant help the suspicion that those sickly sweet bottled jobs have as much sugar as soda anyhow. Could be wrong though.

Juice - as someone pointed out in another thread a while ago, often has just as much sugar as Coke unless I can either (a) be bothered squeezing it myself (i cant) or (b) start buying it from a freshly squeezed place - and there isnt one near my office or near my house....

16. Matt

Matt Senior member

Yeah, I think that a lot of people when drinking diet soda say to themselves "well, I took in less calories now that I drank a diet soda so that means I can eat a little more" and that "little more" that they eat ends up doing them a lot more harm than if they had just drank a regular soda.

Btw, I wouldn't recommend losing weight by switching to diet soda. All I was saying is that I don't think it's necessarily bad for you.

I recently lost about 30 lbs and it had very little to do with drinking diet soda or not. Sensible diet and exercise are the keys.

yeah my old boss in Australia was like that. Supersize her McDonalds and have it with Diet Coke like that somehow made up for the gallon of grease she was going to ingest

17. Kasper

Kasper Senior member

I like Arizona's chocolate soda. You should try that sometime. I don't think they would ever make it in diet form.

18. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

One can adapt to - and even come to embrace -- the taste of diet sodas. I despised the diet stuff when I was on the full strength, particularly the aftertaste. Now, I really enjoy it. Especially with lemon.

I do agree with odoreater on one issue -- the biggest problem is portion size. There's no good reason one should eat a triple burger from Wendy's. While one can of Coke is fine, why does one need to consume 32 oz in a sitting?

19. stach

stach Senior member

I agree with the other poster about sparkling mineral water, especially the kinds with fruit flavorings and no sweetners. Delicious and fizzy, plus it gives you that great acid bite.

20. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

But isn't everyone missing the point that anything diet tastes absolutely horrendous? Thats the bad for you part... you may choke on your own tongue [​IMG].

I tell you, I've been diabetic for more than 20 years now (since my early teens) and find the diet soda to be "normal". Regular Coke makes me want to vomit it is so sickeningly sweet.

The exception to this is candy. Sugar-free candy is the devil's own. Blech.

bob