• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Denim really this complicated?

jtran33

Reaction score
Hi there.

So I've been reading styleforums for a long time here. Basically everyday for while now. But after all of this. I just continue finding new things I have to worry about. I do not feel I understand raw denim at all.

I'm going to Japan pretty soon and I plan on picking up some Japanese denim there.

Problem is I don't think I know what I'm getting myself into.

Is my denim going stretch or shrink?
Is there a way of knowing if my jeans are sanforized?
Do I need to give it a soak before wearing?
How do I know if it's One-wash or raw?

To be honest I'm just a bit scared. I don't want to come home with my expensive japanese denim and realize they don't fit. I know you all are gonna tell me to search or read more. But really, I've read for a long time and I'm still lost. So any help is appreciated really.

Thanks!

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jtran33

Reaction score
I thought that I'd get those responses. I shall read more I guess!

But since I already made a thread. CAn you answer my main questions?

How do I know if my jeans are sanforized/stretch vs. shrink?

Thanks.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jtran33

Ask the person selling them, look at the tags, or know before hand by doing your research.

Joshua Arson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jtran33
I thought that I'd get those responses. I shall read more I guess!

But since I already made a thread. CAn you answer my main questions?

Thanks.

All jeans stretch, some more than others. All jeans shrink when washed/soaked, some more than others depending on if they're sanforized or not. Sanforized jeans still shrink, just not as drastically.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The chance of getting it right on your first pair of $250+ raw denim is virtually zero. Best to budget for 2 or 3 test pairs, plus the one that finally works.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not that complicated. Sanfordized jeans are marked as such on the tags - certainly so in the premium brands. If you're buying in person, they salesperson will help you. If you end up not liking your first pair as much as you hoped, that's life. You'll do better with your next pair.

jtran33

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys! I'll try not to make anymore newbie threads in the future. haha.

laphroaig

Reaction score
If you're trying on one wash or sanforised jeans, make sure they fit tight because they will stretch.
If you're trying on raw jeans, make sure they fit well because they will shrink after the first hot soak and stretch out again after a bit of wear.

Depending on the jeans, they may never get back all the way to the raw size or they may stretch to bigger than when raw. Some jeans just stretch more than others, so before you leave, read up on the brands and models you are interested in to find out how much people think they end up stretching and compensate based on that.

Finally, ALWAYS do one hot wash (with or without detergent) or at one hot soak of raw jeans before wearing them to destruction.

Orange

Reaction score
Here are the rules I abide by and they're the ones you should follow too if you're going for the fades and creases.

If we're talking about raw denim put on a size where you can just button the jeans. They should be slightly uncomfortable at this point but they'll stretch out and you'll be thankful you didn't go for a bigger size later.

Don't do a wash before wearing them. It fades better if you wear it for a while before the first wash.

When you need to wash it, do it in cold water and then hang dry them. Doing so will ensure that they won't shrink as much from the hot water or from the dryer.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
Finally, ALWAYS do one hot wash (with or without detergent) or at one hot soak of raw jeans before wearing them to destruction.

Ummm, why?

JonB27

Reaction score
My advice is to try and figure out which jeans you want: cut, style, etc... Sufu has A lot of information on specific brands, you can read about sizing, stretching, soaking, etc...

The jeans will stretch with wear, that is why people usually size down... Once you wash them down the road they will shrink..

Depending on whether they are sanforized or unsanforized you will soak them initially to get the shrinking out of the way. (soaking is for raw not one wash)

Like others have stated when you go to Japan the salesperson should be able to guide you in the right direction.

givemefive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Ummm, why?

Because if you wash them after you destroy them the jeans will shrink and the destruction will be in the wrong spots

Orange

Reaction score
Originally Posted by givemefive
Because if you wash them after you destroy them the jeans will shrink and the destruction will be in the wrong spots

The jeans will shrink as in contract. The fabric themselves do not shift lol. The destruction will look different but I don't see how they would be in the wrong spots so to say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads