• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Deconstruc Lining = Deconstructed structure?

mottykytu

Reaction score
Are all Half, 1/4 or No Lining Jacket (usually in Linen or Linen Blend) also have no Canvas Floating and have Unstructered Construction? Thank you ?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have unlined jackets that are otherwise canvassed and structured so no.

mottykytu

Reaction score
I have unlined jackets that are otherwise canvassed and structured so no.
so that mean the canvassed don't need to be sewed on to the Lining ? I think it lay between the outer fabric and lining?

papado

Reaction score
so that mean the canvassed don't need to be sewed on to the Lining ? I think it lay between the outer fabric and lining?

Nope, the canvassing sits between the outer fabric and then the fabric again on the inside (near the pocketing and such running up the chest/lapels). I don't know how it looks on a true "unlined" jacket (perhaps this is the one example you don't see but all my half and quarter lined jackets are full-canvass construction; it's probably easier to describe in photos.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
78D8921D-0902-4C50-9770-8B964F358C1C.jpeg
EF77E4A7-13FD-415A-89B2-2C9A87DA97B9.jpeg

This is a quarter lined cashmere jacket of mine, with the canvas basted to the layer of fabric on the reverse of the front panel that holds the inner pockets.

To be honest I’m not sold on this construction. I love an unlined jacket, and I especially love the ease of alterations when the seams are so accessible, but with the canvas not being fully sealed off it’s all too easy to mess it up. A couple of weeks ago I wore this to the pub and showed it to a friend who’s planning to dip his toe into MTM and was curious about canvassing. He reached a clumsy hand between the panels and popped much of the basting holding the canvas in place (easily done after a few beers), and now the front panel doesn’t sit quite right. Basting isn’t designed to withstand that kind of stress, so it can be a bad idea to expose such delicate stitching. It’s definitely a bad idea to then hand it to a drunk, ham-fisted mate without close supervision.

mottykytu

Reaction score
^^^ Very Interesting information thank you

So all the very high-end brand like Kiton and Brioni always have Full-Canvassed jacket? many thanks !

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Pretty much always, yes. I’m sure that once in a blue moon you’ll find a jacket at the Kiton/Brioni level that’s only half canvassed, but if so it would invariably be for a good reason (i.e. because it’s intentionally unstructured) rather than to reduce costs.

If you’re interested here’s a half lined, fully canvassed Raffaele Caruso I’m butchering... I mean altering right now. The canvas is basted to the front panel alone, so when the lining is replaced it won’t be connected to the canvas at any point.

E5C6DF22-21C2-4BEE-930E-99234B43113F.jpeg
3B0F989F-8675-482C-800A-C250597955A9.jpeg
3F312B58-AA48-498E-9FBD-156578464774.jpeg

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The canvas is basted to the front panel alone, so when the lining is replaced it won’t be connected to the canvas at any point.

You will find that the seam joining the lining to the facing has been blindstitched to the canvas; once you change the lining you will want to do the same. There is a very particular technique to doing this which I can show you.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Ah, I stand corrected. Didn’t think to look at that area as I’ve not detached the lining from the facing (nor the canvas from the front panel), but yes, you’re right :)

mottykytu

Reaction score
Ah, I stand corrected. Didn’t think to look at that area as I’ve not detached the lining from the facing (nor the canvas from the front panel), but yes, you’re right :)
What wrong with the Jacket that you have to Unlined it ?

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Nothing much. Just a minor adjustment to the vents and - possibly, I haven’t decided yet - fractionally shortening the jacket, but the truth is that I’m just an incurable tinkerer. I can’t resist playing around with vintage jackets, especially when I paid little enough that I won’t kick myself too hard if I screw something up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads