Is cordovan all that?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pocketprotector, Jan 5, 2011.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

The mac method described here http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.co...he-mac-method/
    Basically, brush them. A lot. And then brush them some more.

This method works well. Before each wear I typically wipe mine with a damp rag then brush and buff vigorously. Consistent with the mac method, I apply a thin coat of wax after about a dozen wearings.

This type of maintenance makes shell good for travel when I only want to take one pair of shoes. I don't have worry with bringing polish along or be too concerned with wearing the same shoes daily.

2. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

And yea, I'm **literally** about to have a seizure. Cmon mate, figure of speech. Having said that, I did spend nearly $3+k on shell shoes alone (which im positive many readers will scoff at my microtimerness [​IMG] ) and when unexpected things which look to be damaging occurs, yes it upsets me. Is that far fetched for you, "well-kept" ? lol

Well, I wear my shells in every circumstance and weather, and I live in the Northeast. I have many pairs, one of which I've worn for fourteen years - they've been in countless countries and taken every kind of abuse, walked literally about fifteen thousand miles. I treat them well - shoes trees, etc - but don't baby them or worry about them and they look great. My forum user name comes from a compliment my late father gave me about this pair, btw.

So I stand by my suggestion. Don't worry about them. You'll be happy with how they look, miles down the road.

3. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

this post doesn't really belong anywhere else, since these aren't Alden [​IMG] so I'll just throw it here anyways these are AE Hinsdale bought of B&S here. I think they date from the mid 80's or so, I dunno, but they didn't have a lot of mileage on them when I bought them. I had vibram put on the sole right away, and they recently needed a new heel. my shoe guy put on a full Vibram heel (all rubber). at the same time he also fully cleaned them. I asked him what he did, and he kind of explained it quickly, but it was a 4 step process that involved stripping everything off, cleaning, polishing, and buffing. he recognized they were shell, and has a process he follows for that. he did say that the sheen was from the oils in the leather, etc, so I trust him! they look great [​IMG]

4. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

^ It was a pair of Hinsdales I talked about in the post above yours. Love them. Great shoes and yours look fabulous.

BTW, I have Vibram sole protectors on mine too, have changed them a few times and so have never had to have them re-soled. Hope you get as many years and miles on yours.

5. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

After a couple of years of regular use, some occasional brushing, no nourishment.
    Before and after shot after using Saphir shell cream. You can't beat a good pair of shell shoes.

[​IMG]

6. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

Thx for the tips and apprec the man method link.

My initial inspiration for using so Much product (besides wax) was that I was under the impression that shell (for lack of a better word) perspires a lot of collagen on a regular basis and that frequent use of various shell creams and Venetian creams would add back the collagen that's lost thus replenishing it's lustre... That the more you condition and replenish, he deeper the color and higher teh shine.

Is this a load?

7. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Collagen? Who told you that?

8. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

The bloom is waxes and oils used in the tanning process coming to the surface of the leather.

9. forex

forex Senior member

I have a cordovan cream from Allen Edmonds that I used a few times but it doesn't do it for me,the leather gets dull afterwards. Where can I buy some cordovan paste wax? Any links?

10. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I've always found that people who wear cordovan look like horse's arses[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Do you have anything useful to contribute to anything?

13. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

Which is the "after" pic?

Looks like L is before and R is after...?

Good information here, as I'm researching before making my first purchase.

14. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

Or "Real Stones" perhaps rolling backwards... Petrus Real.... so clever

15. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

I'm surprised that not more people got your joke.

Well done.