1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is cordovan all that?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pocketprotector, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I want the weschesters in cordovan, but I need an 11B in loafers and it's still painful to break them in. I don't think I could even get 11B cordovan loafers and it would probably be even more painful.

2. recondite

recondite Senior member

Much obliged. You have outstandingly good taste in shoes.

3. kaizo

kaizo Senior member

Out of interest if you have a toecap cordovan where does the rolling occur? Is it confined in between the cap and the laces?

I was wondering what the least intrusive design for cordovan is.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  4. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

are you kidding ?

5. nosrep123

nosrep123 Well-Known Member

Any idea what kind of cordovan shoes are better suited with younger fashion? Younger fashion as for people in their 20s, or [​IMG]

I'm guessing boots will fit my description. I recently bought a pair of RL McCallums, but those seemed a bit too dressy (and bulky, since I ordered a size up due to my high instep) for jeans and khakis. I'm still waiting on a pair of J Crew cap toe boots to arrive, but what about cap toe oxfords or bluchers?

6. CHenry

CHenry Senior member

It will always be a relatively exclusive product because of the rarity of the raw material needed and the extra labor and materials needed to make a material ready for shoemaking. Calf and cowhide are so much more available and the leathermaking process so much cheaper and higher in volume than with cordovan.

The heaviness of the leather lends itself to certain styles over others, usually more heavily constructed shoes with Goodyear or Norwegian welting and boot styles. The shine is softer than a well-polished calf shine, but cleanup seems easier with cordovan. The classic #8 color dresses up or down. I am not so much a fan of lighter colors--tan browns and cognac, mostly--over calf in the same color, and slip-on styles seem too light as compared to brogues and monkstraps in cordovan.

With good care, they last a very long time. For me, the limiting factor is rarely the durability of the upper but the loss of a comfortable fit after repeated resoling, at which point I often don't want to wear them much anymore.