• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is chiropractic nonsense or decent alternative medicine?

repressedm

Reaction score
these are what i see as the possible alternatives:

1. nonsense, any good that people think comes out of it is from the placebo effect or coincidence, correlation rather than causation

2. mostly nonsense on the theoretical level, but massaging and such can be helpful

3. somewhat valid, with some nonsense thrown in, and many bad apples that hurt the reputation of the good ones

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your options are all negatively skewed.

I go to a chiropractor. My bad ankle has improved greatly since seeing him.

repressedm

Reaction score
ty stazy

i wanted to be harsh on purpose just to hypothesis-test.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I am with 3).

I have been to a few and they have never really done anything for my periodic neck pain.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Option 4) plenty of valid ones, and I much prefer heading straight to the chiro rather than going through my primary care to try to get a scrip for physical therapy.

My chiro does lots of soft tissue work, which is usually what I need, although I do have a tendency to slip a rib on occasion (really painful). He can get the rib all fixed in no time.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oftentimes, they root of a problem is a musculoskeletal issue involving a weakened or strained muscle of some sort. The "adjustment" provides short-term relief, but absent a direct treatment of the underlying muscular problem, the weakened/strained/pulled muscles will pull the affected joint out of wack again. I think chiropractors are great for when you must have immediate relief from a problem, but PTs are the ones who will generally fix it so you're not back in the chiropractor's office on a weekly basis.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor but have had nearly every kind of sports injury known to modern medicine and have put my PT's three kids through Princeton.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Seems to be based on conjecture and anecdotal evidence rather than actual rigorous science.

I imagine there is some use for chiropractors, but I doubt more than 10% of their "services" are legit.

This opinion is not based on much research, but I have a view of chiropractors as being folks who couldn't get into med school.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ComboOrgan
This opinion is not based on much research, but I have a view of chiropractors as being folks who couldn't get into med school.

Do you also feel this way about physical therapists, optometrists, dentists, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, paramedics, athletic trainers, radiological technicians, and just about any other allied health professional?

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Do you also feel this way about physical therapists, optometrists, dentists, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, paramedics, athletic trainers, radiological technicians, and just about any other allied health professional?
Some of them, but not most. I have been told by many people in the medical profession that nursing is a common profession among those who train to be doctors but just can't quite make it. Obviously, it doesn't apply to all of them (and probably not most even), but it seems logical that some people enter nursing this way. I'd be interested if anyone in the medical profession cared to chime in with any statistics. I don't say this to put down nurses at all. They are absolutely essential and highly skilled. Same goes for PAs. While undoubtedly some of them are not in their career of first choice, I'd guess that many are, and in either case they have chosen a profession that is both legitimate and essential. Most dentists, optometrists, physics therapists, athletic trainers, and radiological techs that I know seem to have entered those professions by choice. I meet a lot of people who are training for these careers because I tutor physics, and most undergraduate degrees in the health sciences require an introductory physics sequence. In fact, the health and biology related majors make up the majority of our tutoring classes. I enjoy talking to them about their careers and goals and such, so my opinions, while not rigorous, are not completely uninformed. Chiropractors, in my mind, seem to be like ODs. I think a portion of them are people who want to be MDs, but can't get into med school. Instead of taking on another career path within the legitimate medical world, they veer off into some sort of pseudo-science based discipline. I hope that presents my view clearly

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
#2. It's hilarious, both chiropractors I went to spent about a hlf hour discussing in great detail the ways in which my back and neck were screwed up. Showed me x-rays, etc.

Then they gave me the same damn cracking they gave everyone else.

I think the massaging is useful, but most of it's crap.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some of them, but not most.

I have been told by many people in the medical profession that nursing is a common profession among those who train to be doctors but just can't quite make it. Obviously, it doesn't apply to all of them (and probably not most even), but it seems logical that some people enter nursing this way. I'd be interested if anyone in the medical profession cared to chime in with any statistics.

I don't say this to put down nurses at all. They are absolutely essential and highly skilled.

Same goes for PAs. While undoubtedly some of them are not in their career of first choice, I'd guess that many are, and in either case they have chosen a profession that is both legitimate and essential.

Most dentists, optometrists, physics therapists, athletic trainers, and radiological techs that I know seem to have entered those professions by choice.

I meet a lot of people who are training for these careers because I tutor physics, and most undergraduate degrees in the health sciences require an introductory physics sequence. In fact, the health and biology related majors make up the majority of our tutoring classes. I enjoy talking to them about their careers and goals and such, so my opinions, while not rigorous, are not completely uninformed.

Chiropractors, in my mind, seem to be like ODs. I think a portion of them are people who want to be MDs, but can't get into med school. Instead of taking on another career path within the legitimate medical world, they veer off into some sort of pseudo-science based discipline.

I hope that presents my view clearly

LOL

I think there is definitely a pseudoscience to this profession, and I certainly think they deserve the title of "doctor" while physical therapists have nothing like this.

There was this acquaintance of mine that is a chiropractor, and his explanations of musculoskeletal disorders seemed to be written by L Ron Hubbard.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Meta-analyses have shown that "the concepts of chiropractic are not based on solid science and its therapeutic value has not been demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt" (Ernzt, 2008, J Pain Symptom Management, 35). There is no science whatsoever behind principles of chiropractic and as far as I'm concerned, its practitioners are no different than snake handlers, except maybe more dangerous.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Chiropractors, in my mind, seem to be like ODs. I think a portion of them are people who want to be MDs, but can't get into med school. Instead of taking on another career path within the legitimate medical world, they veer off into some sort of pseudo-science based discipline.

ODs? Optometrists? Or do you mean osteopathic physicians (DOs)?

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
Meta-analyses have shown that "the concepts of chiropractic are not based on solid science and its therapeutic value has not been demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt" (Ernzt, 2008, J Pain Symptom Management, 35). There is no science whatsoever behind principles of chiropractic and as far as I'm concerned, its practitioners are no different than snake handlers, except maybe more dangerous.
You can have your ******* "Meta-analyses" give me a good ol' fashioned honest and true blue snake handler any day of the week.
smile.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
hmm...

My chiro is a good friend and occassional client, so I should state that upfront.

My own personal experience mirrors a couple of observations made above...

Originally Posted by dah328
Oftentimes, they root of a problem is a musculoskeletal issue involving a weakened or strained muscle of some sort. The "adjustment" provides short-term relief, but absent a direct treatment of the underlying muscular problem, the weakened/strained/pulled muscles will pull the affected joint out of wack again. I think chiropractors are great for when you must have immediate relief from a problem, but PTs are the ones who will generally fix it so you're not back in the chiropractor's office on a weekly basis.

I'd agree with this. He cracks me around, and then my neck/shoulder appears to work again. The week later (admittedly generally following BJJ class, so I bring it on myself) I am back on the table getting the same cracking. I feel better afterward, but I am far from cured.

Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
#2. It's hilarious, both chiropractors I went to spent about a hlf hour discussing in great detail the ways in which my back and neck were screwed up. Showed me x-rays, etc.

Then they gave me the same damn cracking they gave everyone else.

Ya, I have suspected this too. Go in with a sore neck, he adjusts me the same way that he adjusts me when I have a sore right shoulder. Sore lower back? Crack, same way.

But a couple of other thoughts...first, I do think it is better than being cut open to treat such issues, and as such I file it under 'totally worth a shot' before going under the knife.

Secondly - and I am suuuure that you guys can dissect the statistical validity on this point - and you will probably win....but we did do some call around/straw poll research of past patients of the chiro clinic here. Spoke to about 500 of them, and around 70% reported that the treatment helped their conditions - which is nice to know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads