Is camelhair better than cashmere for an overcoat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ed355, May 20, 2007.

1. Ed355

Ed355 Senior member

I'm having an overcoat made. I can't decide between pure camelhair and pure cashmere. I will probably only wear the coat a dozen times per year, so durability may not be much of an issue as I may grow out of it before it wears out. Thanks.

2. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

For an overcoat, camelhair might make a more formidable impression. For a topcoat, I'd go with cashmere. Either fiber is magnificent, in its own way.
    btw: I can't help but think of the classic film, SUNSET BOULEVARD. In this movie, William Holden models a SPECTACULAR coat, with inverted pleats at the hip. I'm not quite sure what fabric the coat turned out to be, as his ladyfriend, played to overwrought perfection by Gloria Swanson, asked first for camelhair, after which a cunning salesman suggested that Mr. Holden . . . choose VICUNA, instead. 'So long as the lady's paying for it . . . why not take the vicuna?'
    [​IMG]

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Pick the fabric that appeals the most to you. High quality cashmere and camel seem to each hold up well over time in that I have several 50+ year old vintage overcoats in both cashmere and camel that have many years of wear left in them.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Aside from the softness, a key advantage of cashmere is that it is more insulating, so that you can get the same warmth in a lighter weight.

5. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I like the color of cashmere dyed to a camelhair color more than I like natural camelhair,

6. spectre

spectre Senior member

I have a camel-coloured pure cashmere DB overcoat which is insulating but not at all heavy and allows for great movement. I don't think you can go past 100pc cashmere but a blend would negate those benefits I think.

7. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Nothing beats the drape of soft, light cashmere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

100% cashmere from Etro

8. erdavis

erdavis Senior member

Nothing beats the drape of soft, light cashmere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

100% cashmere from Etro

Wow that is a awesome jacket !!!! I don't know much about Etro, but that is a real looker.

9. Ed355

Ed355 Senior member

Thanks for all the replies. Here's a follow-up question: is pale camel color acceptable for a business overcoat or should I stick with normal camel? The latter is probably more versatile though the former may have more class. Thanks.

10. epa

epa Senior member

Wow that is a awesome jacket !!!! I don't know much about Etro, but that is a real looker.

+1

11. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I won't use the catch-phrase, but if you want conservative business clothing at its most classic, neither color is the right choice. Go with a dark gray or navy, solid or herringbone. BUT, in normal life, outside of caricature, either camelhair or a lighter tan are o.k. Where you are more likely to screw-up is with the cut. Anything less conservative than the classic polo coat, such as a wrap coat, in a light color is likely to look less business-like than you might want. Stick with a simple single breasted fly-front or a 6x2 or 6x3 DB. To be clear, a polo coat, while it might have very informal genes, is too classic to be inappropriate.

12. Manton

I won't use the catch-phrase
    Why not? Because you are a philistine, or because you are a coward?

13. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

First determination is the quality of the cloths. A higher quality camelhair will last longer than a cheap cashmere.

Second determination is purely personal. If you have a couple of cashmere overcoats you will want a camelhair for variety. Also, you might prefer the look of camelhair.

My experience in overcoats is that the cashmere is more durable. I have a camelhair polo coat, and it has some signs of wear at the cuffs.

14. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why not? Because you are a philistine, or because you are a coward?
    When you supply a complete set of options I will answer.

15. Manton

When you supply a complete set of options I will answer.

Options for what?

I agree that a good CBD overcoat is dark gray or blue. I would also add black to the equation. Black is nice if you wear a lot of black tie, because it can serve for business or formal events. I also agree that a light colored coat is not the thing for a first coat. But once a man has his dark coat in the closet, a camel hair or camel colored polo coat is a great second coat. But then so is a covert coat.