• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Budapest a sartorial one trick pony?

mussel

Reaction score
Beside Vass, does Budapest have other SF worthy shoe makers, shirt makers, tailors and clothing stores? Or in other Hungarian cities? I searched the archives to see if someone mentioned stores and makers other than Vass and I found nothing.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel
Beside Vass, does Budapest have other SF worthy shoe makers, shirt makers, tailors and clothing stores? Or in other Hungarian cities? I searched the archives to see if someone mentioned stores and makers other than Vass and I found nothing.

there are other tailors and shirtmakers in budapest, but I don't think that any of them are worth traveling for -they are more for locals or for businessmen who travel there.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are several stores along Vaci Utca (the main pedestrian shopping street) that sell 2nd and 3rd-tiered European brands like Pal Zileri, Fratelli Rossetti and Boss. Boss shoes costs not much cheaper than Vass in a store right around the corner from Vass!! There's a local shoemaker Toth something on a side street from Vaci I didn't have time to check it out but it didn't seem to be anything special. Andrassy Utca seems to be slowly develop into an upscale shopping boulevard that resembles Champs-ÉlysÃ
00a9.png
es with stores like LV, YSL and Zegna. I strolled thru the Westend Mall real quick, all run-of-mill mall stuffs, you can skip.

I didn't do much research on Budapest other sartorial offerings before I went there. So there might be some local hidden gems that I didn't know about. Didn't Dr. Bresch mention a tailor in Budapest?

Duveen

Reaction score
I thought that Bresch's tailor was in Romania...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a few friends in Budapest and one of them has his suits made locally by a bespoke tailor. They aren't particularly captivating but fit nicely and were inexpensive. I don't have any further information.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
There are several stores along Vaci Utca (the main pedestrian shopping street) that sell 2nd and 3rd-tiered European brands like Pal Zileri, Fratelli Rossetti and Boss. Boss shoes costs not much cheaper than Vass in a store right around the corner from Vass!! There's a local shoemaker Toth something on a side street from Vaci I didn't have time to check it out but it didn't seem to be anything special. Andrassy Utca seems to be slowly develop into an upscale shopping boulevard that resembles Champs-ÉlysÃ
00a9.png
es with stores like LV, YSL and Zegna. I strolled thru the Westend Mall real quick, all run-of-mill mall stuffs, you can skip.

I didn't do much research on Budapest other sartorial offerings before I went there. So there might be some local hidden gems that I didn't know about. Didn't Dr. Bresch mention a tailor in Budapest?

Von Rothbart modestly leaves out that after his visit to Vass, they have no stock left anyway
tongue.gif
While I didn't notice any particular sartorial attractions, that doesn't mean they're not there. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone but Rubinacci in Naples, for instance, without knowing an address. And that's only the first step. Overall though, Budapest is in line with other emerging 'new' economies in that the average dress tends to be a bit more classic than in the US. Tom

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Sandor Kiss? Is that not in Budapest?

Maybe Fritzl will come to the party. He is constantly telling me how everyone just talks about Vass because that is all the Americans know about and suggests there is a whole world out there waiting to be discovered.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Budapest was known as the Paris of the East.

The TV adaption--as usual by Granada TV--of Georges Simenon's "Maigret" was filmed in Budapest.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom, did you buy anything or get measured? The F last fitted you quite well.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
another thing that they have in Budapest, that is a little extra ordinary are fur hats. with the economies in eastern europe changing so rapidly, I don't know if a good fur hat will cost you more in Moscow or Budapest right now, but both have good stores to have a fur hat custom made.

if you really want to force the tailor issue - both the marriot and the interconti have in house tailor shops that will probrably make a very adequite suit and/or shirt for you, at a better price than the states or western europe.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't they have paprika in Budapest?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
great food, great baths.

another non clothes thing - fantastic early modern antiques. great bahous furnature, as well as art deco and art neuvo.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Tom, did you buy anything or get measured? The F last fitted you quite well.
In the end, I'm going to wait. I didn't trust the woman who was working--"I don't usually work here, just helping for the day. Umm, I like my shoes to be too big, so get them however you want them" doesn't do it for me when we're talking about that much money for shoes. Now that the Christmas rush is over, it should be easier to get good fitting help. I didn't like the F last all that much, anyway. No joke about the fur hats. I didn't go looking for bespoke, but all the Christmas market stalls had some serious Mongol Invasion styles going on. Going to wait to see what happens with global warming and a nuclear apocalypse before I spring for one of those though
smile.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"No joke about the fur hats. I didn't go looking for bespoke, but all the Christmas market stalls had some serious Mongol Invasion styles going on. Going to wait to see what happens with global warming and a nuclear apocalypse before I spring for one of those though "

Here is a man thinking strategically and globally.
lol8[1].gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
What about Sandor Kiss? Is that not in Budapest?

Maybe Fritzl will come to the party. He is constantly telling me how everyone just talks about Vass because that is all the Americans know about and suggests there is a whole world out there waiting to be discovered.

Dear Sator, thank you for the invitation.

As you mentioned, we are talking about discovery. And am not sure if the people here, are ready for this way of discovering. It is much more of a chalybeate bath(steel bath), I hope my dictionary worked well, then a satorial journey.
Not only of the language, it is not compareable to London, Italy, Paris or Vienna. A lot of people in Budapest or on the countryside speak English if they want to, but very often there is a go-between(Mittelsmann) and e. g. yes means maybe.
By the way am much more on the shoe train. I have a tailor in Znaim(znojmo)/Czech Republic, I have to look, if I have a business card.

On shoes: If you are on the RTW train take VASS.

If you want to go bespoke and you are looking for a cheaper alternative to London, Paris or Italy go to Vienna.
There are more than thirty makers around. Some of them are already known here like:
Scheer, www.scheer.at, Materna www.schuhe.at/materna, Balint, www.balint.at, Kudweis, www.kudweis.at/schuhe, Ivants, www.baden-online.at/ivants/, Maftei www.maftei.at, Elfie Riedl, www.elfie-riedl.at, Schikola, www.massschuhe-schikola.at, Wist, www.mass-schuh.at

Most of the web appearances are only in German. But Austrians are used to talk in English. So communication shouldn't be a problem.

If there are more questions do not hesitate to contact(pm) me.

PS: Especially for Sator: Get in touch with Ms. Erika Kudweis, www.meister-stueck.org and introduce the forum to her. She will be pleased to give more assistance then I can do.

Again thank you for the invitation to the party
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads