• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wtf?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
If I were Teacher, I could give you full marks for this. Keep it up.
I appreciate the sentiment but I need to add that I like and dislike things whether they are thoughts/clothes/makers without reference to how I feel that I am treated. let me ask you, what do you think of and how would you rank the importance of my essays, my website and my own opinions both on my site and in this style community?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I appreciate the sentiment but I need to add that I like and dislike things whether they are thoughts/clothes/makers without reference to how I feel that I am treated. let me ask you, what do you think of and how would you rank the importance of my essays, my website and my own opinions both on my site and in this style community?
Since you asked, I find your writing is often unreadable and incomprehensible (e.g., the first sentence I quoted above - I have no idea what you mean to say). You need an editor or to spend more time editing the pieces yourself. I am familiar enough with your ideas from the last few years to think that much of your output is burdened by all sorts of cultural baggage, which wouldn't bother me if the writing were better. As is, it is neither funny nor insightful. Just pompous and bloated. Except when it is incoherent. I do appreciate your ideas about color and texture, and it is obvious that you pay attention to those things. While I think we have very different tastes (from what I can tell), I would still enjoy getting your views on those things if the writing weren't so difficult to get through. The essays on your site authored by others do not appeal to me because they also are poorly written or because I am not interested in the subject matter. The exception were one or two of Terry Lean's. I liked those. And get Horace to write something. As for the rest of your site, it is a curiosity. As far as I can tell, it has three elements: bitching about manton and kabbaz; the trad obsession; and clothes. I am not going to comment on the first other than to say it is what I think of first when it comes to FNB.com. The second element, the Trad obsession, is fun for the looniness and because Terry Lean is clever and entertaining (and knowledgeable, even when wrong). The clothing part of the Trad discussion is probably the most valuable part of the site, especially if you care about the non-Trad elements of Ivy style and its non-US variants. But I don't. I don't even care that much about the Trad clothes. But I do like to see what wackiness Lean is up to. He knows how to put on a show. In any event, without him, I doubt you would have a site. I am neglecting to speak much about some of the other Trad posters who post real stuff only because I don't really care much about their content. But it looks to be quite good if you do care about the subject. The third element, bespoke, tailored clothing and related style, is the rump. It is the subject I am most interested in, but most of the posters who say things I am interested in say the same things here. I therefore have the same opinion about FNB as I do about AAAC - why have more than one site? What is the value-added? On the other hand, there are a few posters who seem to be confined to your site alone, namely Grayson and Cruz Diez, whose posts also incorporate the first element but who also who post lots of pictures that are nice to see and have other interesting things to say, and perhaps some others I am forgetting. But there aren't many. And that isn't enough to make FNB.com important for my purposes. As far as I can tell, FNB, like every message board, exists because it entertain its participants. You have found the subject matters that work for you and them. I don't begrudge you that, and I even enjoy it sometimes. But I wouldn't miss it if it were gone either.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you asked, I find your writing is often unreadable and incomprehensible (e.g., the first sentence I quoted above - I have no idea what you mean to say). You need an editor or to spend more time editing the pieces yourself. I am familiar enough with your ideas from the last few years to think that much of your output is burdened by all sorts of cultural baggage, which wouldn't bother me if the writing were better. As is, it is neither funny nor insightful. Just pompous and bloated. Except when it is incoherent. I do appreciate your ideas about color and texture, and it is obvious that you pay attention to those things. While I think we have very different tastes (from what I can tell), I would still enjoy getting your views on those things if the writing weren't so difficult to get through. The essays on your site authored by others do not appeal to me because they also are poorly written or because I am not interested in the subject matter. The exception were one or two of Terry Lean's. I liked those. And get Horace to write something. As for the rest of your site, it is a curiosity. As far as I can tell, it has three elements: bitching about manton and kabbaz; the trad obsession; and clothes. I am not going to comment on the first other than to say it is what I think of first when it comes to FNB.com. The second element, the Trad obsession, is fun for the looniness and because Terry Lean is clever and entertaining (and knowledgeable). The clothing part of the Trad discussion is probably the most valuable part of the site, especially if you care about the non-Trad elements of Ivy style and its non-US variants. But I don't. I don't even care that much about the Trad clothes. But I do like to see what wackiness Lean is up to. He knows how to put on a show. In any event, without him, I doubt you would have a site. I am neglecting to speak much about some of the other Trad posters who post real stuff only because I don't really care much about their content. But it looks to be quite good if you do care about the subject. The third element, bespoke, tailored clothing and related style, is the rump. It is the subject I am most interested in, but most of the posters who say things I am interested in say the same things here. I therefore have the same opinion about FNB as I do about AAAC - why have more than one site? What is the value-added? On the other hand, there are a few posters who seem to be confined to your site alone, namely Grayson and Cruz Diez whose posts also incorporate the first element, and perhaps some others I am forgetting, who post lots of pictures that are nice to see. But there aren't many. And that isn't enough to make FNB.com important for my purposes. As far as I can tell, FNB, like every message board, exists because it entertain its participants. You have found the subject matters that work for you and them. I don't begrudge you that, and I even enjoy it sometimes. But I wouldn't miss it if it were gone either.
Fair enough, now how would you rank and rate your friend's standing, contribution and importance in the community? Felt I needed to also ask what you think about his clarity of writing, handling of the subject matter like style, tailoring etc...? Sorry.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the sentiment but I need to add that I like and dislike things whether they are thoughts/clothes/makers without reference to how I feel that I am treated.

let me ask you, what do you think of and how would you rank the importance of my essays, my website and my own opinions both on my site and in this style community?

You didn't ask me but I'll say that, with a few exceptions, your needlessly opaque and convoluted writing prevents me from understanding what you are trying to say so I've been unable to form an opinion on the content.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
You didn't ask me but I'll say that, with a few exceptions, your needlessly opaque and convoluted writing prevents me from understanding what you are trying to say so I've been unable to form an opinion on the content.
Very good, very good. Dont suppose you have a passage that's particularly opaque and one that is merely representatively opaque? What would you say my importance in this community is?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fair enough, now how would you rank and rate your friend's standing, contribution and importance in the community?
If you mean manton, I can't comment on his standing in the community, whatever that is, any more than I could about yours. I can give you my own opinion. He is one of the more knowledgeable posters on bespoke clothing and has a very clear writing style. I consider him the best, even among more well-know authors, at converting information about style and the technical aspect of tailoring into words. That is hard to do and he does it well. There are many things that I would classify as issues of taste or style about which we might disagree, but there is far more overlap than not. He is also entertaining. As a result, I find his posts generally of interest and I look for them.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My only comment on the essays is that I enjoyed Tony Ventresca's description of American style. Since he has not been mentioned at all in this thread, I feel like I can safely say that.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
My only comment on the essays is that I enjoyed Tony Ventresca's description of American style. Since he has not been mentioned at all in this thread, I feel like I can safely say that.
I think I missed that one, but it is him in particular whom I had in mind when I mentioned people who post good stuff on a subject not especially close to my heart. Edit: I just found the essay you mentioned. I only skimmed it just now, but it seems quite good. I will return to it when my attention span is long enough to give it the full read it appears to deserve.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you mean manton, I can't comment on his standing in the community, whatever that is, any more than I could about yours. I can give you my own opinion. He is one of the more knowledgeable posters on bespoke clothing and has a very clear writing style. I consider him the best, even among more well-know authors, at converting information about style and the technical aspect of tailoring into words. That is hard to do and he does it well.

There are many things that I would classify as issues of taste or style about which we might disagree, but there is far more overlap than not. He is also entertaining. As a result, I find his posts generally of interest and I look for them.

I think this is all very true. In fact this is something that is widely acknowledged, albeit begrudgingly:

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1438

It is clear that Manton's endearing popularity has much to do with the excellence of his writing style. He has clearly honed his writing style through years of having his every word scrutinised while doing a PhD as well as working as a Republican speech writer. He shows wit, sagacity and generally says more in fewer words than the vast majority of us.

There are probably members who dress as well, maybe even better than he, or are even more knowledgeable, but in terms of the sheer bravura of his writing he is without peer.

As far as the criticism of FNB needing to be more organised, punchier as well as needing to edit his essays more ruthlessly: that is to some degree true of most of us.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
As far as the criticism of FNB needing to be more organised, punchier as well as needing to edit his essays more ruthlessly: that is to some degree true of most of us.
Although the point is taken and both from a time and a simplicity point of view theyre getting shorter. The problem is that with the English series, there's so much to put in. The idea was that every time you read the essay or part of it, you could find something else useful. The point of studying another culture is that I dont believe you can be well dressed for serious purposes without knowing why youre pairing items together. Just choosing items for their intrinsic elegance and putting them together makes a man look less responsible or authoritative. For people who simply want to throw clothes together, the writing or interviews may not serve much purpose. Although i am flattered that some here think I am a writer, I have never made that claim. I suppose no matter how much I say it, there are some who cant believe I dont want fame in this space. People are free to read or not read what's on the site, what i dont quite follow is the need to remind everyone that the writing isnt good.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
let me ask you, what do you think of and how would you rank the importance of my essays, my website and my own opinions both on my site and in this style community?

What would you say my importance in this community is?

there are some who cant believe I dont want fame in this space.

QFI.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe
Agree with Johnny - Black suits are generally only for evening wear.

I have seen many people try and wear black suits during the day and they always end up looking a little "off"

Panzer

l'm alittle late to the party but l agree with this point of view. Black suits worn in the daytime are off putting.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although i am flattered that some here think I am a writer, I have never made that claim.

Thanks for clearing that up. I would have never guessed.
sarcasm.gif

People are free to read or not read what's on the site, what i dont quite follow is the need to remind everyone that the writing isnt good.

You keep asking for feedaback on the essays (and your importance to the community, whatever that means) and you complain about the result.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads