Is black suit an acceptable business attire?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mussel, Feb 3, 2005.

1. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I'm letting a Turnbull 1998 (Oakville) breathe right now. After an hour it is beginning to come out of hiding. Sunday we'll try a Whitehall Lane 1997. Ill post tasting notes. Wait. Shouldn't this all be moved over to the food and drinks section?

2. Horace

Horace Senior member

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Nah, this is as good a place as any for the wine talk [​IMG] I busted out a nice Lewis 02 Cab at dinner tonight, with steaks. Great stuff.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Man, you guys drink your wine young, like Frenchmen.  I'm more of an Englishman in this regard.  Wait until the cork rots, the edges in glass are brown, and the tannin is such a distant memory you wonder if it was ever there.

5. mano

mano Senior member

If possible, buy several bottles of the same wine and open one every few years. You'll not only enjoy the different taste profiles as it evolves, but you'll also get an idea of how long the wine lasts.

Manton, rotting cork and brown edges are bads sign when opening any bottle of wine. I've been opening some of my '94 California cabs and have had a scare with a few of them when the cork crumbled when I put in the cork screw. They've been drinking wonderfully, however.

For those of you who would like to treat yourselves to more recent vintage cabs that taste as if they've been aged, try wines made by Bob Egelhoff. Don't know how he does it, but his wines are approachable off the shelf and are generally outstanding. He said he wants people to drink them now so they'll buy more. His wines are under his own name and he is the winemaker for Axios (Worthy Sophia's Cuvee' is a terrific value), Amizetta and David Arthur.

6. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

I have just kind of wondered what the personal life of all those bespoke shoe makers and tailors must be like behind the scenes. It would probably make a great independent film.

7. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

Sh*t.. That's a great idea.. A documentary about people like Kabbaz and Manton, showing all the behind-the-scenes intensity and fervor of the high-end tailoring industry, on both a professional and personal level. Maybe you could even tie in some commentary about Chinese industry and its effects (or lack thereof). Show the life of a modern craftsman, a type sadly too rare in modern Industrial society. I am sure there is some kind of exciting material to be found here. I know there must be at least a few with some fairly fascinating personal stories about how they came to do what they do, how they do it, and the lifestyles they lead in private. Maybe we could find one plagued by Cobain/Morrison/Joplin-esque tragic brilliance, so much promise yet an edgy instability which threatens all they have accomplished - possibly Alexander McQueen to fill this role?

Yes, I will call a friend tomorrow who makes films and get his feedback. God, a film like that could be very very popular, at least here in the States. Maybe my thinking is a little dulled by the fact that it is currently 4:46am here, but I don't know, I think I've stumbled on to something. Something like that would also provide great free marketing to those profiled.

8. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Linux_Pro
    Sorry, guy, you're late to the party. That already played in Japan back in 1996. Running time 00:45; Rated R for nudity, sex, violence and language. You know those society types. BTW, casting celeb actors in a documentary is a contradiction in terms.

9. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

lack of sleep seriously affecting brain function... please disregard previous post in this space.

10. Manton

I know. It was a (lame) joke.

11. Manton

12. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

I had not previously seen that. I'm not sure why I thought you were. My bad.

13. Manton

Maybe because I can come off like an insufferable bore who thinks he knows everything about clothes?

Wait.?.? ... Did I just write that or did Bresch hack my account? J? Steve?

14. mano

mano Senior member

Originally Posted by mano,Feb. 12 2005,07:10
    Manton, rotting cork and brown edges are bads sign when opening any bottle of wine.
    I know. Â It was a (lame) joke.
    (Wooshing sound of the obvious flying over my head). Manton, got it. Â A bit slow on the uptake this a.m. Also, it may've been my subconscious attempt to put an insufferable bore who thinks he knows everything about clothes in his place.

15. Manton

I will say that I was partly serious, in the sense that I am far more likely to keep a bottle too long than to open it too young. Finding the happy medium in all cases is ... hard.