• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anyone working in the trades?

breakfasteatre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize that this forum wouldnt warrant many trade workers posting, but i am curious

Ive spent several years in university with very little to show for it. I enjoy working with my hands; ie working on my car, working on my house, plastic models when i was younger.

Im seriously considering, well, i have decided that something more hands on is what i need. I feel like i might have been pressured into university by parents, teachers, peers because of my level of intelligence and the trades were never thought of as an option.

Does anyone have any experience? Electricians? Carpenters?

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Master tailor?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my friend tony is a 12 year electrician, just became a head foreman and makes about $200k + some OT. nothing wrong with that. he is home at 4 and the no-docs do all the real work.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My plumber manages to take vacations in Italy, so the money must be decent.

I think salary ranges vary considerably by geography, so check carefully.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
all this hard-working working man crap is bullshit. an A man electrician makes well over 100K. carpenters with union jobs, a bit less but roughly the same. these guys do not work especially hard.

the 2 plumbers i know both do well. one started a supply co. and makes millions. the other works steady and is good for $150K +

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have seriously considered scrapping the corporate life in favor of carpentry. What stops me?

I hate manual labor.

SRSLY - I know a carpenter who builds houses - does everything (iirc), and when he pays a little attention to detail his work is brilliant. Seeing what he puts out there stops me in my tracks - I've got to compete with that? Forget it.

Outside of that I have made my own furniture and sold a few small pieces here and there.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
all this hard-working working man crap is bullshit. an A man electrician makes well over 100K. carpenters with union jobs, a bit less but roughly the same. these guys do not work especially hard.

the 2 plumbers i know both do well. one started a supply co. and makes millions. the other works steady and is good for $150K +

How true! If I told you guys what I pay subs it would blow your mind. I have a guy who knocks in hardwood for a living and I paid him over $150k last year myself. That is not including the side work he does. The preconceived notion that people who work with their hands aren't intelligent is complete and utter bullshit. I have guys who work for me in the office with college degrees that are ******* morons, and guys in the field with a h.s. diploma that are more intelligent than most people I know.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You guys are not helping my disposition here at all. I'm supposed to be in the office tomorrow looking at financials. WTF?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
plus, they get a 4 year jump on real earning while we toil in college. i went to art school so it is kind of like a trade where there are no jobs upon completion of training.

a few of the savvier union guys i know got degrees and mbas by taking advantage of their early work hours.

Originally Posted by Lucky7
How true! If I told you guys what I pay subs it would blow your mind. I have a guy who knocks in hardwood for a living and I paid him over $150k last year myself. That is not including the side work he does. The preconceived notion that people who work with their hands aren't intelligent is complete and utter bullshit. I have guys who work for me in the office with college degrees that are ******* morons, and guys in the field with a h.s. diploma that are more intelligent than most people I know.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My grandfather didn't go to college and became a plumber. He was making six figures when he retired, and is now making the same as a "consultant" (AFAIK he drives around the NYC metro area and supervises projects) plus his juicy union pension. He's pretty happy.

Elitists like to frown on manual laborers but I don't think they realize how much money a tradesman can make.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can find steady work, it can be a good living but the economic downturn has hit a lot of tradesmen hard...

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is something to be said about doing an honest day's work. That can really be one of the most satisfying feelings a man gets. Everyone likes to see the tangible results of their work and a trade job will show you that. Welders make a killing, and it's a manly ass job.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^and you get to wear workwear. surprised more SF'ers aren't lining up.

i can't fix anything and I'm continually amazed by people who can.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
If you can find steady work, it can be a good living but the economic downturn has hit a lot of tradesmen hard...

It has hit a lot of the underskilled tradesmen hard...guys who were getting fat and lazy while others were working years ago are the one's suffering now. It really is the survival of the fittest right now in the trades. My top crew will be flying to Palm Beach in March to finish up a custom home build for the company...not a bad way to spend a few weeks of work!

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka