• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anyone into online business?

biars

Reaction score
Hi all,
I want to start an online business dealing with accessories like belts, scarves, glasses and hats. I want contacts of genuine suppliers from whom I can get quality goods. I want to start small to begin with through social media as I have seen similar things there. For now I need suppliers, if anyone referred me the suppliers it would be of great help. In one of the linkedin groups
I came across a post from a site called http://www.whatcouldisell.com who give verified supplier details. Does anyone know of it or has tried it?

Early advise most welcome.

presidente

Reaction score
I haven't been into this particular business, but as far as the research I've done for when I was working on an estore, you're going to want to use a lot of tools to judge your competition. I think the one I dabbled with was "market samurai" or something along those lines, helped me study up a bit on how a lot of companies have succeeded, and smaller online startups have failed.

You don't need to particularly buy the program, (there is a trail) or even use it, because the VOD's the developer has put out actually has a lot of insight into the world of online retail, marketing and using social media tools to your advantage. I barely used the program, but I took away a lot of good points from his videos.

Using these kind of resources is important. Not to dissuade you, but of course to learn before you jump into something with blinders on. I know there is a large market for these things, but there are a lot of players at the table as well. Stand out, and use as many resources you can find online to try and be a competitor.

I would recommend any materials from any of the kickstarter big shots - they usually have amazing insight on social media networking and marketing, and if anyone else has any input on videos, podcasts or anything of the like, be sure to check them out as well.

After that, I can just say good luck, and I hope things go well.

Last edited:

Elusive

Reaction score
The most important concept to grasp in online fashion is season and stock where I have seen many people go wrong is they end up with loads of dead stock after underestimating the demand and under stock can be an issue if your lucky. That said now is the time to enter online fashion however to compete you really must make sure you have a ready market this forum for instance.

Initial research will trump design etc you can tweak these later however you can start an online business with pennies nowadays and it is a very lucrative market should you get it right.

:nodding:

I say give it a try there is a huge open market and we need some more tasteful sellers online and seeing your on this forum I am sure you will do well.

ngl09

Reaction score
My advice would be to hit up a supplier trade show (Ex - Canton Fair) and find potential suppliers you could work with. You can also find suppliers online at sites like global sources, but you really need to do your research on your market!

good luck.

wiguanerd

Reaction score
yes,Initial research will trump design etc you can tweak these later however you can start an online business with pennies nowadays and it is a very lucrative market should you get it right.thank you
29.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads