• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anyone here s**t poor?

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
You better... or you might end up having to survive on Ramen soups from the 99 cents store like me.
frown.gif

that is my nightmare. to graduate college and live alone in an apartment that I can barely pay for with my part time job. Have no furniture, and barely get by on ramen noodles.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Stops cold drafts and lowers heating bills.

to be honest, we only do this on a sliding glass door that covers most of one wall in an extension that is cut off from central heating. we also have one of those plug in heaters for that room, too.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
that is my nightmare. to graduate college and live alone in an apartment that I can barely pay for with my part time job. Have no furniture, and barely get by on ramen noodles.
Well that is currently my life, kid. Do a good job in school, and don't leave home until you can afford a place of your own, or your parents kick you out.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
Not that anyone will read this with any interest now on the 3rd/4th page, but my folks and I came here from China with not a penny over $200 and a dream. Neither were educated or spoke a lick of Engrish, I was 4, and we knew no one. (when i say $200, I mean it. No bank account, just had 10 $20's)

I won't ramble on with any sob stories, but we were pretty piss poor. No one to turn to back home and definately no one to help here. We were on legit visas but we never once took a penny from the gov't other than the free education and free meals provided to me.

They both worked their asses off and put themselves through college in their 40's. With lots of hard work and a substantial dose of good luck they eventually landed careers which turned into better opptys and so forth.

Fast forward 23 years and my folks are very well off now.... Actually very very well off now but they still "think" poor which drives me up a wall, especially when they come to our place and snoop around in my closet area. The conversations that get started about a particular piece of clothing is NOT fun.

anyway, American dream in its finest form (IMO) and accordingly, we love this country like only immigrants can.

A great testament to the American dream!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just remember, someone has to be poor so that the big timers have someone to look down on.
smile.gif
Without people living check to check, eating ramen, and sleeping on the floor - big timers might start feeling... average. That would obviously be unacceptable.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
well, at the very least, thanks for inspiring me to try and work hard enough now so that I don't have to live check to check. Not that I wanted to do that before this, but people sharing their stories is certainly a motivator.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Just remember, someone has to be poor so that the big timers have someone to look down on.
smile.gif
Without people living check to check, eating ramen, and sleeping on the floor - big timers might start feeling... average. That would obviously be unacceptable.

Philosophers and plowman
each must know his part.

Thanks for carrying your weight man!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Philosophers and plowman
each must know his part.

Thanks for carrying your weight man!

Who makes more money, philosophers or plowmen?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
well, at the very least, thanks for inspiring me to try and work hard enough now so that I don't have to live check to check. Not that I wanted to do that before this, but people sharing their stories is certainly a motivator.

Remember it is in the moment of your decisions that your destiny is shaped.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The philosopher wouldn't care either way.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Think YMMV.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kas
The philosopher wouldn't care either way.
Not all philosophers are stoics. Many lead lives of luxury and probably wouldn't have had it any other way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads