1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is anyone here s**t poor?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JammieDodger, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I am poor.

I actually was poor the first few years of my life. Dad had a small-timer job in financial industry, Mom was taking care of me. Didn't get good until we moved to Long Island.

This shows you've never been poor. An entry level job in the financial industry =! shit poor. When you can't go on a school field trip because it costs $5, that's shit poor.

2. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

This shows you've never been poor. An entry level job in the financial industry =! shit poor. When you can't go on a school field trip because it costs $5, that's shit poor.
    Yeah, that is poor. I am very fortunate to have never lived like that. I am poor now, though, because Mother only gives me around $100/week for food. [​IMG]

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

My mom, her husband at the time, my sister, and myself lived in an 8x12 storage unit without power or water and bathed at a coin-op laundromat for a year. I was 11 or so.

4. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I don't have a bed, I sleep on a single mattress on the floor, I want to change this by somehow saving £10 each week from my budget.

No offense but the what the hell is with westerners' obsession with having elevated beds? This isn't the Middle Ages people, we don't need elevated beds to keep up from the hay and mud floor of our hut. Is it seriously too much of a hassle to to stand up from the floor rather than a normal bed? This is the perfect example of western pig-headed thriftlessness, and one of the reasons everything's so damn expensive in our countries- everybody thinks they can live on their own and anything less than middle-class poshness is 'poverty,' and they demand huge salaries for even the most hapless tasks. If society was thriftier, I'm sure someone on the OP's budget would be more comfortable (e.g. there's be more decent low-rent apartments, cheaper foods, better public transport, etc).

5. DNW

DNW Senior member

I'm not shit poor right now because my cash flow is positive. But, net net, I'm very much in the hole due to my six-figure student loans. If my cash inflow were to stop right now for some reason, I'd be shit poor in a lickity split.

What does that make me (other than a douchebag for bragging about my cash flow in front of these other shit poors)?

6. Lel

Lel Senior member

No offense but the what the hell is with westerners' obsession with having elevated beds? This isn't the Middle Ages people, we don't need elevated beds to keep up from the hay and mud floor of our hut. Is it seriously too much of a hassle to to stand up from the floor rather than a normal bed? This is the perfect example of western pig-headed thriftlessness, and one of the reasons everything's so damn expensive in our countries- everybody thinks they can live on their own and anything less than middle-class poshness is 'poverty,' and they demand huge salaries for even the most hapless tasks. If society was thriftier, I'm sure someone on the OP's budget would be more comfortable (e.g. there's be more decent low-rent apartments, cheaper foods, better public transport, etc).

I put stuff under my bed, it saves floor space.

I'm shit poor, but dependent, so I get to see how shit poor I'll really be after I graduate. Getting insane bills month after month makes you really value turning off lights, leaky faucets, just little common sense things that annoyed you as a child.

7. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i am actually shit rich. took 4 dumps just today. i am a shit baller.

8. ssnyc

ssnyc Senior member

(acutally are there any projects not located in the bad part of town?).

Yes all over Manhattan. I just looked at a $2495/mo 1Br APT. next to the PJs...They're probably paying $800/mo [​IMG]

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I am poor now, though, because Mother only gives me around $100/week for food. [​IMG]

Christ you are a fucking idiot.

10. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Yeah I'm totally serious. [​IMG]

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

My mom, her husband at the time, my sister, and myself lived in an 8x12 storage unit without power or water and bathed at a coin-op laundromat for a year. I was 11 or so.

Never been that poor. Always managed to have a place meant to be a residence, with running water.

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Never been that poor. Always managed to have a place meant to be a residence, with running water.
    I take it your sole family breadwinner has never been a street musician. [​IMG] My mom knows how to pick em.

13. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

I'm what most people would consider 'poor'. Sap stories aside, the $500-600 a month in health insurance and medical bills doesn't help.

Thank god I'm crafty at hiding this fact.

14. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Not shit poor i guess considering i have a nice apt, have internet/cable/dvr, and eat pretty well. I am pretty frugal though. Probably urine poor though or shart poor though.

15. TGPlastic

TGPlastic Senior member

I'm not shit poor but I'm feeling a bit pinched lately. My earnings have been flat while my expenses have gone up. I don't think I've seen a raise in about 3 years. My kid is getting older and his schooling and other necessities seem to cost more each year. I'd start my own business (law practice) if only my health insurance wasn't tied to my current job.

Presently I own two non-fabulous vehicles (both paid-for), a modest house (affordable fixed-rate mortgage) --but I can't afford to replace or improve any of these things. If you asked me three years ago would I be making more by now I would have said yes. I'm not overextended but I have some anxiety over how I would deal with an interruption in income or having to replace a vehicle, roof, furnace, or similar.

I can easily envision a perfect storm type situation that would make me pretty damn shit poor.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Not shit poor i guess considering i have a nice apt, have internet/cable/dvr, and eat pretty well. I am pretty frugal though. Probably urine poor though or shart poor though.

I think I agree with this. I'll call it "fresh out of college poor."

17. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I think I agree with this. I'll call it "fresh out of college poor."
    That will be me in a few months. Excited yet anxious.

18. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

That will be me in a few months. Excited yet anxious.

While it sucks to not have your parents paying the bills anymore, there is something completely freeing and exhilarating about being on your own in terms of money. I mean, I don't get to work and just blow all my money on the shit I want to do anymore, but it feels awesome to actually pay my own bills, even if it means I only get $50 "play" money a month.

19. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I didn't actually go to school for a long time because I was so poor I'd get in a lot of fights over it. My mom enrolled me in "home schooling" which basically means that I roamed the streets shoplifting and selling the stuff for food money. Also when I picked up my drug habit and lost my virginity. Hung out with a lot of unsavory people. [​IMG]
    No offense but the what the hell is with westerners' obsession with having elevated beds?
    I sleep on a hand-me-down futon on the floor. And even though I don't really LOOK like a "Westerner" I guess I pretty much am. I'm not obsessed with an elevated bed. Though eventually I'll probably end up getting one. Just for appearances sake.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I didn't actually go to school for a long time because I was so poor I'd get in a lot of fights over it. My mom enrolled me in "home schooling" which basically means that I roamed the streets shoplifting and selling the stuff for food money. Also when I picked up my drug habit and lost my virginity. Hung out with a lot of unsavory people. [​IMG]

Being poor was not a cause to get into fights where I grew up. It's not like anyone was rich. I mean, not having to put plastic over your windows in the winter, or having a car with a working heater, were status symbols.