• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Anyone Going to San Antone?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked

Tourist trap FTW!

but the bars and the food aren't too bad.

Oh yeah, certainly a tourist trap. But as they go, not a bad one. I liked that converted quarry area too, and this Italian place..Pisanos? I liked the big, old houses in some areas. Really, it didn't seem like a bad city.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I actually spent about three months there, around 2001 or so. I thought it was a not bad city, and would be nearly perfect if it housed the U of T vs. Austin. I liked the River Walk (stayed in recently refurbed art deco place on the walk, very nice...company dime), like the feel of the place, this one older area getting gentrified but with a hispanic flair, and the hill country. All in all, I thought not a bad place.

I guess if you live here you get tired of all the stuff downtown. Whole Foods is at the Quarry and that's about it. Unless you like Jos. A. Bank.

The Italian place is Paesano's and is quite good. Cafe Paladar and Silo are also good. For steak try the Barn Door.

King William District is nice.

Frankly, the bars suck. Plus smoking is legal in TX, so this may influence my opinion. I RARELY go into them.

I've railed against the drivers before- mostly a bunch of SUVs or Ford 150s on their cell phones paying NO ATTENTION to the traffic around them. Extremely dangerous.

And Fiesta is so overrated it's laughable. As is the Rodeo. First Fridays are passable- Joe's Blues (sp?) is the only bar I've found here that I like.

Shopping is only OK. Satel's is pretty trad and recently consolidated into one location. Great service though, and I almost always like something when I go there (which is why don't go that often
frown.gif
). La Cantera is first rate (esp. the Nordstrom), but some crazy bastard made it an OUTSIDE mall. There used to be a great store in the North Star, but it went out of business a while ago.

The Mission tour is supposed to be good. Brackenridge Park is nice- especially the Japanese Tea Garden.

But I refuse to go out unless it's 95 or below. Which leaves out about 6 months of the year. And golf, unless you want to play at 5AM. That's not relaxing to me.

Gimme CA anytime- and I can name you 10 other places I'd rather live as well.

Mr T

Reaction score
San Antonio is on OK place. It still has a blue collar flavor though so shopping for menswear is pretty limited to what Steve B mentioned. Definitely not in the same league as Dallas or Houston.

The best thing about the place is all of the clevage showing Latinas. God bless Tex-Mex.
tongue.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
confused.gif
^^^^

* title edit: Cranked this yesterday. Should be 'Is Anybody Goin' to San Antone?'

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads