• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Anyone Else Sick to Death of Irony/Quirk???

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Is anyone else getting truly weary of the unending flood of hipster irony and detached quirkiness that seems to have inundated American culture lately? Perhaps it's particularly severe in the North-East, college scene, but I'm just getting so sick of ironic facial hair, Wes Anderson movies, Chuck Norris T-shirts, Buddy Jesus statuettes, 80s kitsch and all the other trappings of the self-conscious schlock that passes for the cultural moment of my generation.

I find myself retreating to things that most other people find insufferably serious or un-ironic - epic poetry, classic literature, my photography, romance, diary writing, a drinking habit, and Dire Straits songs.

Anyone else?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
For the older people in the audience could you explain what ironic facial hair is?

Also, have you read Jedediah Purdys naive goof of a book?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

I'm unable to find anything inspiring about people who abide by hipster doctrine.

The thing's you listed as pervasively serious/un-ironic are things that I find great enjoyment in. Except, I would have to add painting to my list.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
For the older people in the audience could you explain what ironic facial hair is?

Seriously.
lol8[1].gif

I personally identify more with people 15 years my senior than people 5 years my junior.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Seriously.
lol8[1].gif

I personally identify more with people 15 years my senior than people 5 years my junior.

Ditto. I kind of wish I was like 50 so I could go to jazz clubs with my "posse" and drink bourbon while a quartet swings all night long.

All of this would be done in three-piece suits, of course.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen

Also, have you read Jedediah Purdys naive goof of a book?

At the risk of exposing my older person's ignorance, I think that the sporting by a young hipster of muttonchops or a Rollie Fingers moustache might constitute ironic facial hair.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but only slightly more than I am sick of hearing people complain about hipster this and hipster that. And, I like Wes Anderson movies
plain.gif

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
Yes, but only slightly more than I am sick of hearing people complain about hipster this and hipster that.

And, I like Wes Anderson movies
plain.gif

Frankly, I don't even like the word hipster. There's just something about people that are self-consciously trying to look cool that really irritates me.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, your generation? The funniest thing about this scene is that it's really, really old. I mean, in the early 90's in the Midwest, people had the same "ironic"/thrift store/stupid facial hair/elitist/pseudo-bohemian thing going on. About the only difference was that it was a little more 70's kitch than 80's kitch, and people drank some other crappy beer instead of PBR. So it cracks me up now when people on the coasts act like this is like some new thing.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Frankly, I don't even like the word hipster. There's just something about people that are self-consciously trying to look cool that really irritates me.

I don't use the word "hipster" unless it is followed by "dufus", ala Kramer.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How the **** do you figure Wes Anderson movies belong in this category? They're one of the last bastions of authentic, heartfelt filmmaking among a sea of manufactured, homogenized, bullshit "dramas" and overexposed, ridiculous, "realistic" violence Appreciation.

Although I do know what you mean about being tired of the too-cool-for-school attitude. I think that's why I've started listening to more (freak folk/naturalism/New Weird America) and less NYC postpunk. I also think it's why postmodernist criticism/theory makes me want to tear someone's eyes out.

EDIT: Also, irony has an immensely important place in most literature that's worth reading, "classic" or otherwise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads