1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is anybody on Facebook?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dusty, Sep 1, 2006.

1. dusty

dusty Distinguished Member

2. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior Member

I like you arm candy.[​IMG]

3. dusty

I should get it out of the way early that that is my family, so nothing lewd please.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

I should get it out of the way early that that is my family, so nothing lewd please.

Then lucky for you that you don't live in Alabama. [​IMG]

I'm on Myspace, not Facebook.

Jon.

5. designprofessor

designprofessor Distinguished Member

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

Then lucky for you that you don't live in Alabama. [​IMG]

I'm on Myspace, not Facebook.

Jon.

So what's your Myspace? Do you have the awful graphics, and music all over the place?

Is Facebook like Myspace?

7. dusty

No, it has a set (tasteful) format that cannot be edited. On the main page, the user can only edit text and photo thumbnails.

8. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

Your political view is conservative and your music is Wu Tang, Ice Cube, Kanye and the Beastie Boys? Wtf?

9. rdawson808

rdawson808 Distinguished Member

at the suggestion of the students.

Ditto. Check out the lates (I think) Chronicle of Higher Education insert Careers which has on its front page an article titled "Why I Registered on Facebook".

Your political view is conservative and your music is Wu Tang, Ice Cube, Kanye and the Beastie Boys? Wtf?

Welcome to today's youth. My students are like that too. "Yeah, I'm really into Hendrix and Neil Young and the Dead. And I really love Dubya." Wha???

bob

10. dusty

Welcome to today's youth. My students are like that too. "Yeah, I'm really into Hendrix and Neil Young and the Dead. And I really love Dubya." Wha???

a) Save for the Beastie Boys, none of these artists are strongly identified with liberalism
    b) Conservatives make crappy music

Does all the music you guys listen to align precisely with your ideological orientation? Am I not allowed to respect yet disagree with the views of these artists while still enjoying their music? It's not like I'm blasting Straight Outta Compton at a pro-life rally.

Note: I do not respect the views of Kanye, as he is as dumb as a bag of socks. However, he is an excellent producer.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

So what's your Myspace? Do you have the awful graphics, and music all over the place?

Is Facebook like Myspace?

No music (ever) and only one graphic (background): a Japanese vending machine at night; it's so kitsch.

Jon.

12. odoreater

bob

Yeah dude, I'm like, so ironic 'cause I listen to gangsta rap but I love Dubya man. It's 'cause I appreciate the artistry even though I disagree with the message.

Personally, I listen to music where I can identify with or at least empathize with the message the artist is trying to send.

13. dusty

Yeah dude, I'm like, so ironic 'cause I listen to gangsta rap but I love Dubya man. It's 'cause I appreciate the artistry even though I disagree with the message.

Hey, way to disparage a perfectly valid viewpoint by typing it as if a stoner college kid said it.

Personally, I listen to music where I can identify with or at least empathize with the message the artist is trying to send.

Which is pretty much what I said in my previous post.

14. odoreater

Hey, way to disparage a perfectly valid viewpoint by typing it as if a stoner college kid said it.

I've run across these kids often and most of them sound like this. They all want to be "ironic" for some reason. Another example of this is the whole "nerd chic" thing. Every kid wants to be the cool nerd.

It doesn't matter man, you can listen to whatever you want, I'm just busting your chops. But, when you proclaim yourself as conservative and listen to gangsta rap, you don't really have any credibility with either group. It's like trying to conform and rebel at the same time, in trying to do both, you end up doing neither. If you're alright with this, then fine.

15. dusty

when you proclaim yourself as conservative and listen to gangsta rap, you don't really have any credibility with either group. It's like trying to conform and rebel at the same time, in trying to do both, you end up doing neither.

That's ridiculous. If I can disagree with an artist's views while still being able to empathize with his position, why can I not enjoy his music? Why do I have to have my views constantly reinforced by what's on my ipod? If I don't, then I guess that means I don't take politics or art seriously?