• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a Rotary membership a plus in ones CV?

Patrician

Reaction score
Would a Rotary membership be a plus in ones CV?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

Patrician

Reaction score
Why not?
frown.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because it's irrelevant. I'd imagine there's more downside (pompous?) than upside (fellow member) in adding this to your CV

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think a Rotary membership lends one an air of pomposity...
eh.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
eh.gif

Not the membership but putting it on one's resume. Any club membership mentioned on a resume can come off as pompous, not to mention they're in all likelihood irrelevant to the position.

If one wants to show community service on a resume, sure - put a sentence explaining what you've been doing - but simply indicating you're a member of the R Club doesn't do it IMO

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmmm, do I listen to Conne or Greg on this one? Unemployed versus Banker? Irish verus French?
:Roma:

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I have a hard time seeing how it could hurt. Depends what you are applying for really.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first question would be how old are you? Second, is there nothing else you have done that is more important for the job you are applying for than being a memeber of the R club.

I do some light advising for my old college fraternity and the first thing I tell them to take off that they were X in the Frat. Its completely irrelevant, unless your applying for a job with a Fraternity, not to mention it can go both ways with the interviewer.

I am of the belief that a resume is not a one sized fits all endeavor, nor is your cover letter. Tailoring your resume to the job you are applying for is key. I hate interviewing people who are in their 30's and still insist on putting their summer jobs from HS on, or people who are 'experianced' in the field they are applying for listing their course work.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
eh.gif

It is a permanent gift, not a loan.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Hmmm, do I listen to Conne or Greg on this one? Unemployed versus Banker? Irish verus French? :Roma:
Wrong! I haz a job.

Vito

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the Rotary Club is secretly plotting to take over the world.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Don't laugh at the Rotarians. I have been dragged to one of their lunches, on several occasions. Many local movers and shakers belong. Good place to network. I don't like going to their lunches though.

Breakfast clubs rock btw. A good breakfast club can really get you into the local power network.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics