• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a plaid scarf "girly"?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite the thread title, this isn't another gay thread (not that there's anythign wrong with that). It's more about men who hate to shop, shopping with their significant other. I was at The Bay today (Canadian mid-range general merchandise store), and looking through the men's accessories. A guy is there with his s/o, and she holds up a scarf to his neck (a really cheap acrylic plaid scarf), and asks him what he thinks of it. The guy replies "plaid is girly, I want a solid, maybe a striped one". Of course, I was about a metre away, wearing a plaid scarf. Good to know that this guy probably considers me girly!
lol8[1].gif
In another area of the store, a guy was trying on a sweater with his s/o outside of the change room. He was a little more built up than most of us here, and the sweater fit him fine I thought. He starts complaining to his s/o that it's too tight and gay looking on him, then proceeds to complain and whine as his s/o suggests more clothes for him (they were all kind of ugly anyway). So what are your encounters with "the guy who hates to shop"?

thisisme

Reaction score
can anyone rank scarfs in terms of material used ? cashmere > wool > acryllic > poly > etc? why is acryllic so bad x cheap etc?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisisme
can anyone rank scarfs in terms of material used ? cashmere > wool > acryllic > poly > etc? why is acryllic so bad x cheap etc?

Acrylic pills like a mofo. I usually have stubble, and that shreds up any acrylic scarf easily, and will look like crap in no time. Also, if you don't fold it up properly, and store it the right way, it can get permanent fold lines and creases. It's also not very insulating. On the plus side, it's smooth, and will generally not irritate you as much as a very cheap wool scarf will.

Cashmere is extremely soft, and I associate that with being delicate. I wouldn't buy a 100% cashmere scarf since my stubble would rip it up too soon for me to get a long stream of benefits from it. Ladies love it though, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a classic cashmere scarf for my girlfriend.

I usually stick with a nice fine merino wool scarf, maybe 10% cashmere, or 10% acrylic doesn't bother me much. Anywhere around $50 is what I usually pay, and if it's on year end clearance, even better value for the money.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

metkirk

Reaction score
I was gonna say the thread title should be "Is plaid scarf GAY"
devil.gif

I'm a guy who hates to shop with my mom, she tries every possible way to dictate what I should wear; think baggy Ts and such...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I like plaid scarves...and I agree that merino the fabric of choice. Obviously there's "good" plaid and "bad" plaid. I like plaids that are more subdued within the colorway, so no orange/pink/blue/green plaid scarves in my future

I work with "the guy who hates to shop"...he never knows what he and his wife have given as gifts. All of his clothes are 1-2 sizes too large for him because he finds it more comfortable than clothes that actually fit.

Max

Reaction score
He's got some latent **** issues if he's super concerned about being perceived as gay.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a Grey Burberry plaid scarf a few years ago and I think it looks pretty nice. I think the normal yellowish/brown plaid is a bit played out though.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont really dig plaid scarves too much (some look pretty good) but I tend to stick more on the stripped or solid side
I am with MetKirk too, I hate, HATE when I had to shop with my mom, when I was younger. I usually wont look at clothes/try them on unless they strike me as something I have to look at. Also I have to be kind of in the right mindset to shop. I dont mind shopping with my girlfriend at all. When she was here we would go out clothes shopping frequently.
I have seen plenty of guys who ***** about stuff their girlfriends make them try on, but the way I see it is: It is what she would like to see you wearing, dont you want to please your girlfriend with this little bit? It will pay off later wont it?
I mean **** I didnt really like slim jeans just because I wasnt used to them, but Yumi wanted me to try them on because she thought I would look good wearing them (she was right, and she "likes" to see me like that).
On the other hand, My ex would pick out the most god awful ugly **** for me whenever I had to go shopping with her (which I tried to limit, and I hated it. nothing pleasureable about going to ********* stores.) I would ***** about that all the time. I ruined a trip to Seattle because I wouldnt try on any of the loose fugly hoodies she picked out and would rather freeze ****** off/get rained on than wear one. To which she responded "Why are you so ******* picky, just wear it!" I Said "No ******* way" or something to that affect.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man, scarf + wife beater. That's hilarious!
smile.gif

I have to say, I'm not feeling that scarf at all. It's way too short, and I prefer scarves with a fringe on the end. The rounded edges look odd as well. The pattern is a little plain, but that grey is versatile. Could work as a purely utilitarian scarf under a bulky parka though where you don't need the length.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Oh man, scarf + wife beater. That's hilarious!
smile.gif

I have to say, I'm not feeling that scarf at all. It's way too short, and I prefer scarves with a fringe on the end. The rounded edges look odd as well. The pattern is a little plain, but that grey is versatile. Could work as a purely utilitarian scarf under a bulky parka though where you don't need the length.

I guess I'd have to see it with a peacoat or other jacket but I'd have to agree I'm not feeling it.

thisisme

Reaction score
yea i was just trying it on. yea the length is like half the length of a regular scarf. pattern is lame tiger fleece in gray. i guess ill wear it once over or something

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
The guy replies "plaid is girly, I want a solid, maybe a striped one".
I believe the country of Scotland begs to differ.

katon

Reaction score
Not at all. 9 times out of 10, the problem comes from the way you are wearing the scarf, or what you are wearing it with.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most guys are idiots when it comes to buying clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads