• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a Pea Coat from American Eagle a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have never seen this coat in person but there are reasons it's so cheap. Shoddy quality, poor construction, blended fabric and slave labour all contribute to a lower cost. If you're just buying this as a fashion item you don't intend to have more than one season then I'm sure it's fine. But if you want a quality product you'll be able to wear for a decade or more you'll have to look elsewhere. There's no shame in buying used. Consider this, a 70 year old pea coat in damn fine condition currently at a third of the AE. http://cgi.ebay.com/40s-Vtg-WWII-US-...t_10969wt_1139 Just make sure to have it dry cleaned if you get it.

Ivar

Reaction score
It looks fine.

bombers

Reaction score
Looks fine but probably constructed like ****, fit like ****, and won't keep you warm for ****.

With $80 I could purchase a vintage US Navy peacoat for around the same price.

vaalbara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bombers
Looks fine but probably constructed like ****, fit like ****, and won't keep you warm for ****.

truth.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spend an extra $20 and go to uniqlo.

eightdouble

Reaction score
shop around a little bit. i know this doesn't help you now, i bought a usa made schott in the warm season for that same price on deep discount. (i have also since ebayed it for 40 bucks more than i bought it for)

you could buy a really well made used one for that ballpark and have a coat that is not only better constructed and warmer, you won't have to live with the shame of having purchased something at ae.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bombers

You can probably kop two.

Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Spend an extra $20 and go to uniqlo.

word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads