• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a natural shoulder on a business suit inappropriate?

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would it be inappropriate? I don't understand where you're coming from. Besides people who use sites like this one, who do you think is going to notice or even care?

Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score

I think a natural shoulder can make the wearer look "at home" in a suit, which to me conveys a more subtle and effective sense of authority than the so-called power suit.

+1. The word "can" is key, of course. A poor fit quashes any sense of authority either way.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on the pecking order of the participants in the business meeting.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one will notice, but in general, I think they should have strong roped shoulders.... hell, I think all jackets should have strong roped shoulders, otherwise they're just cardigans :p

johanm

Reaction score
It's really absurd to think that anyone notices the shoulders on your suit. People will notice if your suit looks cheap or has tacky/loud fabric or or fits poorly, but real life people don't register shoulder construction unless they post on internet clothes forums or are themselves customers of a bespoke tailor who has a distinctive approach to shoulders. This is true in any business setting, in any industry, in any city of the world.

Last edited:

johanm

Reaction score

Most people don't notice actual shoulder construction, but I think people notice a more relaxed look to a suit vs. a more structured one even if they can't identify the actual construction details that create t hat impression.

I have never been in a business setting where it is conceivable that anyone important is thinking about whether anyone else's suit gives a relaxed vs. structured impression. YMMV I guess.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have never been in a business setting where it is conceivable that anyone important is thinking about whether anyone else's suit gives a relaxed vs. structured impression. YMMV I guess.

Not all things that are noticed are noticed through conscious thought.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People do notice 'soft' vs 'roped' shoulder, it is so obvious that tailors need different construction for each.
Soft shoulder suit needs very good body shape, I am afraid most people who could afford these kind of stuff will be slightly obese, mid- age, man.
Rope shoulder suit generally makes better appearance on people.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I revise my statement about no one will notice. No one will note that the shoulders are how they are, however, it entirely changes the look of the jacket. The roped shoulder gives a very aggressive, bold look, while the natural shoulder with an unroped shoulder will look more weenie.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote classically American. So not frowned upon at all here. Perhaps elsewhere.

The current Hickey Freeman shoulders are very soft, and I don't think they would be inappropriate:

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I vote classically American. So not frowned upon at all here. Perhaps elsewhere.
The current Hickey Freeman shoulders are very soft, and I don't think they would be inappropriate:

Soft to whom?
Soft is not natural.
Unless this is a new cut, nothing in the
SanFrancisco Hickey Shop has a true
natural shoulder.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those Hickey suit ain't total soft, we are talking about wearing a Kel jacket for boardroom

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads