Is a natural shoulder on a business suit inappropriate?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by eHaberdasher, Oct 2, 2012.

1. eHaberdasher

eHaberdasher Senior member Affiliate Vendor

What say ye? Sorry I don't have pics for examples at the moment... but what do you think? I'm not saying no shoulder padding at all, but a very very thing/light padding and little to no roping.

2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I personally don't accept total soft shoulder business suit, most high end brands I knew don't do Kel style business suit.

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

Most people wont notice what type of shoulder is on your suit, especially if the suit fits well.

4. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

No one will care

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I wouldn't necessarily go that route on a business suit, but agree that very few would notice or care.

6. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

People will notice, especially soft shoulder on sloppy shoulders. Extra bling if one is middle age and obese

7. eHaberdasher

eHaberdasher Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for weighing in. I'm going to try to dig up an example or two for illustration. I seem to recall seeing an ad in for Zegna with a very natural shoulder...

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I think this is a very subjective question. From a cultural, geographical and industry-specific standpoint. A natural shoulder suit for a creative executive in the US would be more than appropriate, as suits are rarely worn and no one will pick up on details as the suit itself establishes enough credibility. In contrast, a British or Swiss financier's suit might ruffle feathers in a board room if it doesn't adhere to the sharp-lined, masculine "power suit" aesthetic.

In consulting I feel a natural shoulder makes for a nice balance between the formality of a suit, but the approachability of a more casual/natural drape. Then again I'm pretty sure no one thinks about this detail nearly as much as I do...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

Sometimes people do have the needs to dress for conformity.

10. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    ^^^ Agreed.

Others may not be able to specifically identify the difference between a suit with a natural shoulder and their Mens' Wearhouse fare, but they will notice that something is "off".

11. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

I think a natural shoulder can make the wearer look "at home" in a suit, which to me conveys a more subtle and effective sense of authority than the so-called power suit.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

12. LilacCords

LilacCords Senior member

Think this depends more on the physique of the wearer than the environment he's in.

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

I doubt anyone will notice apart from a very few who have form views on such matters. These days most people accept RTW and have no knowledge with which to question it. In any event the contract between the military styles of some Savile Row tailors and that of others such as Andersons never excites any interest.

Your market research then should be put aside and you should concentrate on the product

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I actually think the natural shoulder would get less negative attention than anything else.

15. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

^ Dat

Something built up (especially if it's roped) calls a lot more attention to itself.

If you have a pronounced waterfall on the sleevehead, that is another story - though even there I don't think it really matters.

A lightly padded, unextended shoulder is as unflashy and unobtrustive as you can imagine.