• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a natural shoulder on a business suit inappropriate?

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What say ye? Sorry I don't have pics for examples at the moment... but what do you think? I'm not saying no shoulder padding at all, but a very very thing/light padding and little to no roping.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally don't accept total soft shoulder business suit, most high end brands I knew don't do Kel style business suit.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people wont notice what type of shoulder is on your suit, especially if the suit fits well.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily go that route on a business suit, but agree that very few would notice or care.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People will notice, especially soft shoulder on sloppy shoulders. Extra bling if one is middle age and obese

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for weighing in. I'm going to try to dig up an example or two for illustration. I seem to recall seeing an ad in for Zegna with a very natural shoulder...

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I think this is a very subjective question. From a cultural, geographical and industry-specific standpoint. A natural shoulder suit for a creative executive in the US would be more than appropriate, as suits are rarely worn and no one will pick up on details as the suit itself establishes enough credibility. In contrast, a British or Swiss financier's suit might ruffle feathers in a board room if it doesn't adhere to the sharp-lined, masculine "power suit" aesthetic.

In consulting I feel a natural shoulder makes for a nice balance between the formality of a suit, but the approachability of a more casual/natural drape. Then again I'm pretty sure no one thinks about this detail nearly as much as I do...

Last edited:

Xenos

Reaction score
^^^ Agreed.

Others may not be able to specifically identify the difference between a suit with a natural shoulder and their Mens' Wearhouse fare, but they will notice that something is "off".

prozach1576

Reaction score
I think a natural shoulder can make the wearer look "at home" in a suit, which to me conveys a more subtle and effective sense of authority than the so-called power suit.

Last edited:

LilacCords

Reaction score
Think this depends more on the physique of the wearer than the environment he's in.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What say ye? Sorry I don't have pics for examples at the moment... but what do you think? I'm not saying no shoulder padding at all, but a very very thing/light padding and little to no roping.

I doubt anyone will notice apart from a very few who have form views on such matters. These days most people accept RTW and have no knowledge with which to question it. In any event the contract between the military styles of some Savile Row tailors and that of others such as Andersons never excites any interest.

Your market research then should be put aside and you should concentrate on the product

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually think the natural shoulder would get less negative attention than anything else.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually think the natural shoulder would get less negative attention than anything else.

^ Dat

Something built up (especially if it's roped) calls a lot more attention to itself.

If you have a pronounced waterfall on the sleevehead, that is another story - though even there I don't think it really matters.

A lightly padded, unextended shoulder is as unflashy and unobtrustive as you can imagine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads