• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a midnight blue tux considered timeless or trendy?

Bksander01

Reaction score
Wanted to know because I'm finally to a space where I should buy a tuxedo. However, since I'm buying one, I want to be sure it's a smart purchase (especially since I'm having it custom made).

I'm very partial to the midnight blue tux with black shawl lapels. But before I pull the trigger, I wanted to hear opinions on if it fluctuates between in- and out-of-style over the years. Again, I like that it stands out in a sea of black during a formal event, but I wouldn't want it to be dated in the next few years or so.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Arnobuyens

Reaction score
Midnight blue looks great IMO. Of course black is more traditional but I don't see the blue one going out of style anytime soon.

super1flavor

Reaction score
I honestly don't know since this is something so very specific and likely to be seldom worn. What I would say is that the midnight blue with black lapels sounds absolutely dope and definitely something that I could see myself in. I am personally not a fan of shawl lapels, however, so I don't know if that throws of the entire look? Does the same midnight blue tux with black notch lapels have the same affect? That's the question I would be asking myself. Maybe I would do shawl lapels, I can't say without seeing it.

Also, please factor into the decision your overall appearance. Meaning; are you short, tall, heavy, skinny, and what type of hair style do you have. After years of reading a lot of good stuff and style forum (and hell of a lot of bad recommendations) I am now realizing that body type and hair style can either embolden a standout tux (or suit) or totally wreck it, hence the trendy thought. Make sense?

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you mean true midnight blue, then it is absolutely timeless. I wouldn't even say black is more traditional. Midnight blue goes back to at least the DoW in the 20s.

If you mean more like dark navy, where you can clearly tell that it's blue and not black in any light, that's more trendy.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's quite classic:
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Classic_Tuxedos.htm

"Besides its natural association with night, the deliberate use of black for traditional evening wear has two distinct aesthetic advantages. First, it imbues the wearer with an aura of dominance and power. Second, when worn with a white shirt and accessories the juxtaposition of black's complete lack of color against white's complete spectrum of color creates the greatest contrast possible. “If the topic was printing rather than formal dress,” observed the author of The Aesthetics of the Tuxedo, “classic black tie would be the equivalent of putting words in bold.”

While black is the norm, midnight blue is also a classic. This extremely dark hue of navy blue achieved its popularity in the 1930s due to its ability to retain its richness under artificial light whereas black fabric is generally more reflective and can sometimes give off a greenish or grayish cast, particularly if the cloth is not brand new. For this reason midnight blue is frequently described as being "blacker than black" although "richer than black" would be a more accurate definition. Similarly, midnight blue has the upper hand at parties that start prior to sunset because black has a tendency to appear dull and lifeless in daylight. Sadly, such a garment is rarely offered in the ready-to-wear world and usually has to be obtained on a made-to-measure basis."

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Timeless. But go for real midnight blue, not some jazzed up navy version.

TOstyle

Reaction score
Wanted to know because I'm finally to a space where I should buy a tuxedo. However, since I'm buying one, I want to be sure it's a smart purchase (especially since I'm having it custom made).

I'm very partial to the midnight blue tux with black shawl lapels. But before I pull the trigger, I wanted to hear opinions on if it fluctuates between in- and out-of-style over the years. Again, I like that it stands out in a sea of black during a formal event, but I wouldn't want it to be dated in the next few years or so.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
I think the answer is in part what color blue you are thinking of. I was asking the same questions in my head, and in this forum, here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/455591/midnight-blue-how-dark-is-it-really

I get the sense that the lighter blues, which still look good, are a bit of a trend and not as timeless as a "blacker-than-black" blue. Since it's black and it's formalwear there is almost no chance it goes out of style. You're good with that.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very, very classic.

100% correct. True midnight blue is absolutely classic, though very difficult to find OTR.

If you're worried about being trendy, you should be more concerned with other styling details, e.g. make sure (if it's SB) it's a one button jacket, etc..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads