• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a low poly blend a problem for an overcoat

Farligfrukt

Reaction score
Hey SF!

I recently picked up an overcoat second hand from circolo 1901 (pictures included) in what i assumed was a donegal tweed. I forgot to ask for the material composition as the seller had simply listed it as "wool" and discovered later that it's a 98% wool 2% poly blend. Normally i only buy 100% wool and so I'm curious if any of the experts here at SF could tell me your thoughts as to a blend such as this, what downsides it carries with it (durability, sweating?) or even possible upsides.

Cheers!
1.jpg
2.jpg

/Frukt

papado

Reaction score
Hey SF!

I recently picked up an overcoat second hand from circolo 1901 (pictures included) in what i assumed was a donegal tweed. I forgot to ask for the material composition as the seller had simply listed it as "wool" and discovered later that it's a 98% wool 2% poly blend. Normally i only buy 100% wool and so I'm curious if any of the experts here at SF could tell me your thoughts as to a blend such as this, what downsides it carries with it (durability, sweating?) or even possible upsides.

Cheers!
/Frukt

I think DWW had a comment on this same query a while back (can't find it off-hand) that sometimes we may make too big a deal of small amounts of poly in seemingly high quality tailored clothing. I have the below jacket from Isaia where it's a wool/mohair/alpaca/nylon[poly] blend and I can't find anything 'wrong' or 'low quality' about the fabric. Sure it's not as sexy as pure wool or cashmere but I think if it's a quality garment and works we shouldn't obsess too much over the finer details of the blend.

1609463651327.png

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I think the "not as sexy" comment is key here, when it comes to why poly blends are often looked down on by traditional clothes lovers. I honestly do not think even the most hardcore style hound could tell the difference between a coat with and without a 2% poly blend, in a blind test. Perhaps a professional tailor could.

My understanding from friends in the textile industry is that low poly content is added because it provides a degree of durability, or weatherproofing, that just isn't possible except with the most labour-intensive, expensive forms of natural fibre weaving, or something like waxing that completely alters the look and feel of the natural fabric.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Poly or nylon at 20% or less might actually extend the durability and lifespan of your garment. It usually doesn't feel as good as good wool, or come with the other magical properties of wool like odor resistance and stuff...

Casaubon

Reaction score
Don't obsess too much about it, 2% are definitely not noticeable, whereas they might help with the durability, as others have pointed out. I myself have a high poly count peacoat (40% as opposed to 60% wool), which I bought as a freshman on a budget. Ten years later, and I still wear it on occasion, although I wouldn't buy it today.
In any case, 2% really shouldn't affect you negatively in terms of sweating, pilling, discomfort or anything else commonly associated with polyester or nylon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads