• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a linen, wool and silk suit formal enough for groom

mrroco

Reaction score
Hi,

I will be getting married in a few weeks, in summer and would like some thoughts on this suit. It would be for my wedding.
My main concern is the material, it looks good but a bit different, perhaps even a bit less formal. i know the advice is normally to with a 100% wool suit and i dont want to make any mistake i regret when i look back on the photos in years to come!
Would appreciate it if some of you could share your thoughts.

Navy Lazio Suit | Wool Silk Linen Three Piece | Suitsupply Online Store
1624265489128.png

Thanks!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t overthink it. You’ll be fine. You could always opt for tropical wool if you’re concerned about the temperature.

What you should be concerned about is that you’re getting married in a few weeks and haven’t yet settled on your suit. Worse yet, you’re considering Suit Supply. Please tell me it’s not made to measure.

mrroco

Reaction score
Hi Phileas Fogg, you are correct. I have left things a bit late. The big day is just less than 2 months away. Happy to consider other suppliers other than suitsupply, but would ideally like to spend less than 600gbp. im not close to a city so ideally one that deliver's to the UK.
Im also late for made to measure, however i do have a very average frame, so was hoping an off the shelf suit with some alterations would do the job.

Can I just check, in regards to the material you think it is likely fine? Thanks for your response

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Phileas Fogg, you are correct. I have left things a bit late. The big day is just less than 2 months away. Happy to consider other suppliers other than suitsupply, but would ideally like to spend less than 600gbp. im not close to a city so ideally one that deliver's to the UK.
Im also late for made to measure, however i do have a very average frame, so was hoping an off the shelf suit with some alterations would do the job.

Can I just check, in regards to the material you think it is likely fine? Thanks for your response

I don’t see a problem with that fabric. It’s a summer wedding and I’m assuming during the day.

As for brands, I don’t know. I’m not in the UK and don’t know what is available or even if it’s possible to buy in person.

rjc149

Reaction score
i dont want to make any mistake i regret
The suit is the least of your potential regrets.

In the event that your marriage is successful, looking back on your wedding photos will never cause regret, no matter what you wore.

You'll never go wrong with a dark, solid, 100% worsted wool 2-piece suit in either dark charcoal or navy blue. Just please wear socks.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For a wedding, I prefer a more solid worsted. But I think that suit would be fine for a wedding. If it matters to you, that fabric has a bit of a sheen, more than your average worsted (meaning, more than the average fabric you'd use for a suit).

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming this will be your only navy suit, which you will wear to many events over many years, try not to pick something too fashion forward. The PeeWee Herman look will not last forever. Avoid aggressively slim profiles and jackets that don’t cover your ass. Make sure the trouser cuffs cover your ankles, which should not be bare.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads