• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a Linen and/or cotton sportcoat too casual for business meetings???

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or should one venture simply for lighter weight wools??

What is the most professional and appropriate?

---I'm leaning against cotton/linen for business and more toward lighter weight wools. So what are your thoughts?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What business?

pkincy

Reaction score
Sartorial is misspelled in your signature.

I think a jacket is inappropriate for business meetings. A suit is a different story. And cotton or other summer fabrics can be appropriate in the right place and the right weather.

Perry

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy

I think a jacket is inappropriate for business meetings. A suit is a different story. And cotton or other summer fabrics can be appropriate in the right place and the right weather.

Perry

Perry,

I respect your view; however, a jacket (I call sportcoat), more commonly referred to as a sportcoat as jacket lends it hand to outerwear to some, is NOT inappropriate for business meetings, a sportcoat is preferred many times. Saying a sportcoat is inappropriate for business meetings is akin to saying sex and the 3 button suit are out of style.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you ask the question if you already seem to know the answer and are prepared to reject any responses?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Why would you ask the question if you already seem to know the answer and are prepared to reject any responses?

The question is not of the usage of a sportcoat (which is what I didn't agree with it), it is of the material and its practical application in the business world. I will preface this in a more specific post.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen's wrinkliness, which some of us may consider degage elegance, may communicated disheveledness to others. It's too reminiscent of the beach rather than the city and leisure rather than business. For a non-tropical setting, I say no. Safer to stick with a fresco or mohair for coolness. They're also much harder wearing.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, cotton is more appropriate than linen: it wrinkles less and hence it has a neater look for business.
As written above, though, only suits should be worn in a business _meeting_. What you can wear at work is another story.

!luc

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
To me, cotton is more appropriate than linen: it wrinkles less and hence it has a neater look for business.
As written above, though, only suits should be worn in a business _meeting_. What you can wear at work is another story.

!luc

No one in my company wears suits at business meeting. It is all business casual. I do wear a suit with blue open collar dress shirt or turtleneck, that's about as far as suits go at my company unless we are meeting with clients than the tie is set in place. A suit and tie at business meetings would be overdressed and you would be requested to remove the tie most likely.

howbah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph

it depends whether you're there to give orders or take them.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy

I don't believe that it's misspelled.

pkincy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I don't believe that it's misspelled.
It is not any longer. The r was missing earlier.

Perry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads