• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a leather strap watch too dressy for jeans?

swooshmac

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new here but wanted to get my feet wet and post something about accessories. I am a watch enthusiast and of course have my own opinions on this topic, but I would like to know what you guys think. Is a watch with a black or brown leather strap meant to be worn with a suit or can you wear it with jeans or I will even throw this one in... wear it with shorts?

To me I have always thought leather straps are very formal and only to be worn with suits. But I am seeing the trend nowadays that you can wear a leather strap with anything you wear.

Hope to hear some comments here.

Thanks.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The strap itself isn't too dressy for jeans. I have a black gator strap on my Speedy right now while I wear jeans. It works, IMO, because the watch itself isn't a dress watch. If the watch were more of a slim dress watch it would look more odd

white collar

Reaction score
The strap itself isn't too dressy for jeans. I have a black gator strap on my Speedy right now while I wear jeans. It works, IMO, because the watch itself isn't a dress watch. If the watch were more of a slim dress watch it would look more odd

+1 It entirely depends on the watch. I don't consider the IWC Big Pilot a dress watch and would wear it on a brown leather strap with jeans. However, I wouldn't wear a Patek with a leather strap and jeans.

Cyanide2010

Reaction score
Just specifying "leather" as your strap choice and then asking if it has an inherent level of class is very broad. Assess the over feel of the strap, is it dressy? Is it classy? Or does it look more relaxed, perhaps distressed or Nato style? The material used in the strap is only a subset of the overall aesthetic of the strap, and the overall vibe of the strap is going to have a much more pronounced effect on the look of the watch. For instance, these two straps have completely different connotations, and they're mounted on the same watch. Granted, taste is subjective, but I would absolutely pair the brown distressed band with jeans. The black band I would not, unless there was some level of tailoring involved, and I certainly wouldn't wear it with shorts. Rolex Black.jpg Rolex Distressed.jpg

swooshmac

Reaction score
the Speedy IMO is a watch you can wear with any strap and any outfit and it looks great! :) Totally agree with you on how it all depends on the style and size of the watch with a leather strap that might make a watch look odd.

swooshmac

Reaction score
Just specifying "leather" as your strap choice and then asking if it has an inherent level of class is very broad. Assess the over feel of the strap, is it dressy? Is it classy? Or does it look more relaxed, perhaps distressed or Nato style? The material used in the strap is only a subset of the overall aesthetic of the strap, and the overall vibe of the strap is going to have a much more pronounced effect on the look of the watch. For instance, these two straps have completely different connotations, and they're mounted on the same watch. Granted, taste is subjective, but I would absolutely pair the brown distressed band with jeans. The black band I would not, unless there was some level of tailoring involved, and I certainly wouldn't wear it with shorts. View attachment 922554 View attachment 922558
thanks for the pics and nice comments.

swooshmac

Reaction score
+1 It entirely depends on the watch. I don't consider the IWC Big Pilot a dress watch and would wear it on a brown leather strap with jeans. However, I wouldn't wear a Patek with a leather strap and jeans.
totally agree.. Patek is too dressy IMO. The IWC works with jeans. But what about shorts? the IWC on a leather strap and shorts? hmmm. I think for shorts a rubber or nato or steel strap works best.

white collar

Reaction score
totally agree.. Patek is too dressy IMO. The IWC works with jeans. But what about shorts? the IWC on a leather strap and shorts? hmmm. I think for shorts a rubber or nato or steel strap works best.
IF I wear shorts then I only wear a drive watch on a steel bracelet or rubber strap. Shorts with a leather strap watch is a huge no for me, regardless of the watch or strap design.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Just a tip for the choice of leather strap color: pair it to the color of shoes and belt you wear (most often). Black watch strap with brown shoes or vice versa can look a bit "off". Brown leather straps from my experience work best with blue jeans. Black will always tend to appear a bit more formal (both in shoes, belts as well as watch straps).

swooshmac

Reaction score
Just a tip for the choice of leather strap color: pair it to the color of shoes and belt you wear (most often). Black watch strap with brown shoes or vice versa can look a bit "off". Brown leather straps from my experience work best with blue jeans. Black will always tend to appear a bit more formal (both in shoes, belts as well as watch straps).
Thanks for the tip! :)

Jan Capek

Reaction score
I have a different take on this than some of the esteemed gentlemen here. Hopefully you will accept my opinion. A wrist watch is a piece of jewelry, worn asymmetrically (only on one side). As such it can exist relatively independently of one's attire. While there is nothing wrong with matching a leather strap with your shoes and belt, making it into a strict rule makes as much sense to my mind (and, as the classic said, mine is not a mind to be sneezed at) as putting on gold-and-silver loafers to match your two-tone jubilee. To answer your question, therefore: No, a leather strap watch is not too dressy for jeans.

Last edited:

Hung-Wei Long

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new here but wanted to get my feet wet and post something about accessories. I am a watch enthusiast and of course have my own opinions on this topic, but I would like to know what you guys think. Is a watch with a black or brown leather strap meant to be worn with a suit or can you wear it with jeans or I will even throw this one in... wear it with shorts?

To me I have always thought leather straps are very formal and only to be worn with suits. But I am seeing the trend nowadays that you can wear a leather strap with anything you wear.

Hope to hear some comments here.

Thanks.

Hung-Wei Long

Reaction score
Here are the understood universal rules for watch/clothes pairing:

1. a brown leather strap watch is the most "accessorizeable" and always in style with jeans and a blazer, shorts, any color suit, and any type of non-athletic shoes (loafers, keds, canvas, brown oxfords, mocs- all are fine)
2. a black leather strap watch is also excellent, just make sure to combine it with a black belt and black shoes. Its a more formal color, requiring more uniformity in the accessories

As always, being that it is de facto male jewelry, make sure the strap at least looks to be of a more expensive fine grain leather (either distressed or plain milled).

swooshmac

Reaction score
I have a different take on this than some of the esteemed gentlemen here. Hopefully you will accept my opinion. A wrist watch is a piece of jewelry, worn asymmetrically (only on one side). As such it can exist relatively independently of one's attire. While there is nothing wrong with matching a leather strap with your shoes and belt, making it into a strict rule makes as much sense to my mind (and, as the classic said, mine is not a mind to be sneezed at) as putting on gold-and-silver loafers to match your two-tone jubilee. To answer your question, therefore: No, a leather strap watch is not too dressy for jeans.
nice choice of words Jan. Well said and well noted :)

swooshmac

Reaction score
Here are the understood universal rules for watch/clothes pairing:

1. a brown leather strap watch is the most "accessorizeable" and always in style with jeans and a blazer, shorts, any color suit, and any type of non-athletic shoes (loafers, keds, canvas, brown oxfords, mocs- all are fine)
2. a black leather strap watch is also excellent, just make sure to combine it with a black belt and black shoes. Its a more formal color, requiring more uniformity in the accessories

As always, being that it is de facto male jewelry, make sure the strap at least looks to be of a more expensive fine grain leather (either distressed or plain milled).
great notes on the 'rules' of matching :) thanks for the input here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads