• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a double breasted suit too presumptious?

P3R3

Reaction score
I am a college senior and I am looking to purchase a nice suit for interviewing, meetings, formal dinners. I am 6' 1" 152 lbs, so I am kinda tall and lanky with a broad build. I have always loved the DB style suit and I think I pull off the look. Is it a fois pa to wear such a suit to a business affair?

I have fallen in love with this Oxxford suit and want to purchase it, but if I cannot use it for business then it would have much less use.

88e5_12_b.JPG

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buy it, wear it, love it. It is a lovely suit that will only draw compliments.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll urge caution. I definitely wouldn't wear it for interviews, where every impression counts, or even for work, until you got to know people. There's a very real possibility that folks will unfairly conclude you're either trying too hard or that you're too big for your britches. Partly this is a function of your age, partly the rarity of the DB these days.

Ultimately, a DB is only going to underscore your youth, which does you no favors if you're competing with older, more experienced guys for jobs or in the workplace. You want an interviewer to remember your qualifications and what you had to say, not that you were "the kid in the double-breasted suit."

I do know where you're coming from. I love three-piece suits, but I have to be very careful where and when I trot them out. Maybe in 40 years I'll wear them every day, but not yet.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'll urge caution. I definitely wouldn't wear it for interviews, where every impression counts, or even for work, until you got to know people. There's a very real possibility that folks will unfairly conclude you're either trying too hard or that you're too big for your britches. Partly this is a function of your age, partly the rarity of the DB these days. Ultimately, a DB is only going to underscore your youth, which does you no favors if you're competing with older, more experienced guys for jobs or in the workplace. You want an interviewer to remember your qualifications and what you had to say, not that you were "the kid in the double-breasted suit."
This reminds me of the chapter of Manton's The Suit where he theorises that the old reserve certain satorial indulgences for themselves. The irony is that since DBs look best on the slim, there are few old patricians who can enjoy them. So it's odd that DBs are rare today, since their exclusivity should make them appeal to designers. But given their current state, depending on how old you appear, what industry you work in, etc. you might have a problem.
frown.gif

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'll urge caution. I definitely wouldn't wear it for interviews, where every impression counts, or even for work, until you got to know people. There's a very real possibility that folks will unfairly conclude you're either trying too hard or that you're too big for your britches. Partly this is a function of your age, partly the rarity of the DB these days.

Ultimately, a DB is only going to underscore your youth, which does you no favors if you're competing with older, more experienced guys for jobs or in the workplace. You want an interviewer to remember your qualifications and what you had to say, not that you were "the kid in the double-breasted suit."

I do know where you're coming from. I love three-piece suits, but I have to be very careful where and when I trot them out. Maybe in 40 years I'll wear them every day, but not yet.

+1.
Even I have doubts about getting a DB suit for the reasons given above, and I am 44 and have a good professional reputation around here.
I intend to get a DB suit in the future, but I will definitely not wear it to any job interview, unless I really know the person who will be interviewing me (or unless I will be the one doing the interviewing, in which case I will enjoy wearing a DB suit...). Also, although I may use it for business, I will probably refrain from using it when meeting certain clients, for the reasons given by Doc (except for the one related to underscoring the youth...). Actually, the fact that a DB suit may not be appropriate for certain occasions is what has prevented me from getting one so far.
Currently, DB suits are very rare where I live, and if you wear one, people may think that you are a snob, basically. Nothing generally wrong with being a snob, but maybe you do not wish to make it clear to your potential employer already at the interview stage, or on your firsts days at work.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
This reminds me of the chapter of Manton's The Suit where he theorises that the old reserve certain satorial indulgences for themselves. The irony is that since DBs look best on the slim, there are few old patricians who can enjoy them. So it's odd that DBs are rare today, since their exclusivity should make them appeal to designers.

But given their current state, depending on how old you appear, what industry you work in, etc. you might have a problem.
frown.gif

I actually suggested a DB suit to my tailor about one and a half years ago, and he convinced me to go for SB. However, some weeks ago I brought the subject up again, and he said that it actually seemed like DB suits were becoming more frequent again. He mentioned Italy as an example. I do not know if it is true and, actually, I do not need them to be too common, a bit of "exclusivity" is nice, but it would be nice to be able to wear DB for business without standing out too much.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but I sometimes feel that designers frequently make use of anything that they expected will draw attention to their work...
(By the way, the fact that you see a lot of transparent shirts worn by women on the catwalk does not make me feel inclined to recommend my female friends to wear them for job interviews, although it may depend on the kind of job you are looking for).

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When it comes to clothes (as with many other things), breasts are like martinis. If one is good, two are better. Three gets a little scary, but you don't have to go there.

A lot of it is how you carry it. A really well-fitting DB actually is a bit more relaxed than the comparable SB-- like an elegant pair of pajamas. But do use your judgment on this. Some folks will be startled.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, wearing an elegant pair of pajamas for a job interview would definitely be the right thing to do. And I will consider this option for my next business meeting. Relaxed and elegent, that's it, that's really me.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too presumptuous? Never!

I have never worn a DB suit when I did not receive positive feedback. When you dress well it is telling others that you care enough about them that you took the trouble to look your best.

Briguy

Reaction score
I would go ahead and wear it. Unless your industry, or the firm(s) you are interviewing with, have a well known prohibition against such attire, I suspect that the reality is no one you interview with will remember what you were wearing 5 minutes after the interview is over, as it is a conservative blue suit.

I think many folks make way too much of the impact of a pocket square, a 3pc suit, or a DB jacket in an interview situation. If the interviewer has nothing else to judge you by besides your pocket square, then I suspect you won't get the job anyway.

Speaking from current experience, I have spent the past few months interviewing at a number of large accounting firms (big 4 and a big regional-I am currently at a B4 firm). These are partner track positions. With the exception of one interview where I was dressed casual, I attended all of these interviews wearing either a DB or a 3pc, all with a pocket square, and with my customary winter beard. All of this in a very conservative profession. Did anyone even notice what I was wearing? Yes, one senior partner who was as dandified as I was paid me a compliment on my GF DB. Otherwise, nothing.

Four of the five organizations I met with made offers.

I also interview candidates extensively. Most of these are entry level. The only time I have ever heard anyone comment on a candidates attire is when they were either dressed like a bum or, in the case of a female, dressed far too sexy.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Briguy
I also interview candidates extensively. Most of these are entry level. The only time I have ever heard anyone comment on a candidates attire is when they were either dressed like a bum or, in the case of a female, dressed far too sexy.

I would agree and add that I also find that sometimes others will notice if a candidate has very ill-fitting clothing, especially if they appear uncomfortable in it.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Briguy

I think many folks make way too much of the impact of a pocket square, a 3pc suit, or a DB jacket in an interview situation. If the interviewer has nothing else to judge you by besides your pocket square, then I suspect you won't get the job anyway.

This isn't the point. The point is not to do what "some" or "many" will accept, but rather to do the very best one can. Interviewing is tough business, and a candidate shouldn't settle for what's "pretty good." Reaching the greatest possible audience, even through dress, is always in the interviewee's best interest. It's all about him giving himself the most ammunition possible, even through the little details...and yes, there's a good number of interviewers out there who do notice these details. (I used to teach interviewing strategies and had to read/interview extensively on the subject.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics