• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

is a double breasted suit suitable for non business events?

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
Nor have I. Is this really true?
The number of buttons is irrelevant.

In England, SB three piece is (or was) considered the most formal lounge suit. If the coat is peaked and the vest DB, that is more formal still. An SB suit without a vest was at best something for the tropics -- not supposed to be seen on the home island. That injunction is of course long dead.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
Interesting , I never heard that before.

I know it's hard to fathom. Remember that the Prince of Wales (later Duke of Windsor) wore the DB suit while the older or stuffier men around him usually wore the three button three piece sb. The DB was the ultimate "lounge" suit, often done up in a flannel which might have not quite become proper for city wear at that time but was perfect for lounging at a club.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Happy Stroller
What about the 2-b SB vs. the 3-b SB?

I don't have a perfect answer for this. Hardy Amies, in his book on the Englishman's suit, considers the 3 button, SB jacket to be the ultimate and most traditional English suit. I was surprised by that but discussions with the English in the know seems to confirm that in their minds that the 3 button, SB is the one they think of when they think of their cultural heritage. I would have thought it was the DB suit.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
I don't have a perfect answer for this. Hardy Amies, in his book on the Englishman's suit, considers the 3 button, SB jacket to be the ultimate and most traditional English suit. I was surprised by that but discussions with the English in the know seems to confirm that in their minds that the 3 button, SB is the one they think of when they think of their cultural heritage. I would have thought it was the DB suit.

But when you add in the vest, which hadn't been mentioned until Manton's post, it makes sense. Yes, I believe a vest -- particularly a DB vest -- adds a level of formality to an SB that exceeds that of a DB.

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members