• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is a double breasted suit suitable for non business events?

clam61

Reaction score
maybe its just me, but double breasted suits seeem pretty proper...especially if they have stripes

i cant imagine wearing one to go to dinner, but am i the onlyone who feels this?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's such as shame that people today have such a deep Angst towards dressing elegantly in case they get arrested by the slob police for failure to comply with the Slob Rule Nr 1: Thou Shalt Dress and Act Like a Slob 24/7. I definitely wear my DBs day and night, for business or social outings. Relax, it's OK to be dressed elegantly.

However, pinstripes of all kinds are more for daytime business wear on both SB and DB coats.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
I just snagged a green velvet double-breasted suit on ebay.

Quite naturally, I have little intention of wearing it for business purposes.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
It's such as shame that people today have such a deep Angst towards dressing elegantly in case they get arrested by the slob police for failure to comply with the Slob Rule Nr 1: Thou Shalt Dress and Act Like a Slob 24/7. I definitely wear my DBs day and night, for business or social outings. Relax, it's OK to be dressed elegantly.

However, pinstripes of all kinds are more for daytime business wear on both SB and DB coats.

I agree wholeheartedly on this, except to note that pin stripes can be appropriate evening wear; just drop in at any tango salon around the world.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clam61
maybe its just me, but double breasted suits seeem pretty proper...especially if they have stripes

i cant imagine wearing one to go to dinner, but am i the onlyone who feels this?

I wore one to dinner with six members of this Forum just this weekend. They didn't seem to blanch in horror.
smile.gif

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you have the panache? ask yourself "am i that ******* cool that i can wear what i want and look good regardless?" if you answer yes, then do whatever you want and ignore what everyone else thinks, because you know they are wrong and that you are right.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really is all in how you wear it.

If it's something you really love the look of, and as a result you wear it regularly, then it will look good.

For one, the regular wearing of it will make you feel comfortable in it. Two, the garment itself will be broken in and as a result will look better and more suited for your specific body.

I'm still building my basic wardrobe but I fully intend on commissioning several DB coats and suits.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My prefered suit for a weeknight dinner party or dinner at a nice restaurant is a navy DB.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clam61

I have been thinking about what the big hangup is for DB suits for a while now because I am a big fan of the DB suit.

I don't think 99.9% of the people will notice or care. If YOU feel properly dressed in it , wear it. Most people will look at you and just notice you are nicely attired, the other .1% will always have some comment about something.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on what country you are in and what industry. I think the DB is just about to get reintroduced by the designers as chic in the public mind.

In England the DB is considered less formal than say the 3 button SB. In the US, we equate the fussiness of the button fastening and its continental savoir faire as somehow more formal.

Also depends on the event. Mosh pits are not DB friendly, Club 21 is.

That said, if you look good in a DB, then wear it.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
In England the DB is considered less formal than say the 3 button SB.
That said, if you look good in a DB, then wear it.

Interesting , I never heard that before.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
What about the 2-b SB vs. the 3-b SB?
bigstar[1].gif

...<snip>...
In England the DB is considered less formal than say the 3 button SB. In the US, we equate the fussiness of the button fastening and its continental savoir faire as somehow more formal.
...<snip>...

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medwards
I wore one to dinner with six members of this Forum just this weekend. They didn't seem to blanch in horror.
smile.gif

And a tougher crowd I cannot imagine.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
Interesting , I never heard that before.

Nor have I. Is this really true?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This arguably remains perfectly true even today - irrespective of where one is.

I have heard that a man would often choose a DB for the more casual look of a 2 piece in an age when an SB coat demanded the waistcoat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads