• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a chukka a good first boot?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackboard_knowledge
If you are looking for a boot to keep your socks dry, particularly if you plan on ever walking in snow, then you may want something more formidable than a chukka.

There are boots that are waterproof and classic, such as the Vasque Sundowner GTX (preferably in burgundy), which utilizes Gore-tex and is reasonably priced.

Other than that, I would say that the Style Forum standard response would be the Alden Indy, which you precluded in an earlier message.

I agree that Red Wing and Gorilla boots are a bit much.

I tried a pair of chukkas in store, they come up enough, I don't think the snow will be a problem.

Vasque boots are too ugly. Arn't they for hiking and outdoors too, seems like overkill.

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
Vasque boots are too ugly. Arn't they for hiking and outdoors too, seems like overkill.
Yes, it seems as though most of the solutions (Alden Indy, Red Wing, Gorilla, Vasque) are overkill. Perhaps you are right in that you are looking for a simple chukka or moc boot.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackboard_knowledge
Yes, it seems as though most of the solutions (Alden Indy, Red Wing, Gorilla, Vasque) are overkill.

Perhaps you are right in that you are looking for a simple chukka or moc boot.

the moc boot doesn't look bad at all. but I still like the chukka a bit better. that is until something better comes up.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jesus ******* christ.....don't start a thread if all you're going to do is **** on the responses and sound like a broken record.

go buy some ******* chukkas already and go away.

Sylvr

Reaction score
you already made your decision and just made a thread to confirm it. buy the chukkas. there you have it. there are clearly better shoes for your purpose, but it doesnt matter what anyone else says because you had your mind made up before you even posted.

oh, and GTs do not look like clown shoes. you have either never seen a clown or never seen the GTs in person. your issues with boots is that you dont like dealing with so many lace holes. the only answer to that is either zippers, velcro, or buckles since you don't like chelseas and its elastic. look into engineer boots as a possible option.

or just get the chukkas.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh

As for boots, how else would I walk in the snow without getting my socks wet?]

Spats you knave.

Also, what exactly do you think Chukkas look like when partially concealed by the bottom of your trouser? A dress shoe?

Actual suggestion

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the question you meant to ask was: "Which chukka should I buy?"

First, you should consider the material: Calf vs. Cordovan

Then color: Black, brown, burgundy

Then brand: Alden, Ron Rider, Vass, C&J, Church's, etc.

If you like Alden's barrie last, I would go with cordovan in one of the brown colors: cigar, ravello, whiskey.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you neither like boots or need them. so go away

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this guy has a fascinating aproach to soliciting advice on an internet forum.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I bought a pair of Crockett & Jones Tetbury chukkas and I'm very happy with them:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

I think the narrow last gives them a slightly dressier look than most other chukkas (e.g. the Polo MacCallum).

Edit: In general, I do prefer chelsea boots, though.

How do I buy a chukka? What do I look for?

I think I will make a new thread to ask for the details.

Originally Posted by Sylvr
you already made your decision and just made a thread to confirm it. buy the chukkas. there you have it. there are clearly better shoes for your purpose, but it doesnt matter what anyone else says because you had your mind made up before you even posted.

oh, and GTs do not look like clown shoes. you have either never seen a clown or never seen the GTs in person. your issues with boots is that you dont like dealing with so many lace holes. the only answer to that is either zippers, velcro, or buckles since you don't like chelseas and its elastic. look into engineer boots as a possible option.

or just get the chukkas.

I wore the GT's, they are bulky in the toe area. I think a sleeker boot would be better looking.

Originally Posted by BlackShoes
Spats you knave.

Also, what exactly do you think Chukkas look like when partially concealed by the bottom of your trouser? A dress shoe?

Actual suggestion

Spats, wow those are terrible.

As for the boots on the site, they look alright, I still think the pair of chukkas shown above from alden are better looking.

Originally Posted by westinghouse
www.orvis.com

Lots of boots here, I will take a look, thanks. How are the prices for the site? Or would I be better off shopping else where?

Originally Posted by Fraiche
I think the question you meant to ask was: "Which chukka should I buy?"

First, you should consider the material: Calf vs. Cordovan

Then color: Black, brown, burgundy

Then brand: Alden, Ron Rider, Vass, C&J, Church's, etc.

If you like Alden's barrie last, I would go with cordovan in one of the brown colors: cigar, ravello, whiskey.

How do I buy a chukka? What do I look for?

I think I will make a new thread to ask for the details.

latkaguy

Reaction score
How about a jodhpur boot? If laces are a problem, the jodhpur boot has a strap. I think that it looks a bit more elegant than a chukka boot too, although your tastes may differ.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics