• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a cashmere sweater a luxury for a college/grad student?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pursuant to advice here, I purchased my first sweater, a v-neck cashmere number by Johnstons of Elgin from STP. Price was below $200. Kolecho commented that cashmere is a luxury for a student, and other people opined that merino is great.

I also have another sweater by John Smedley purchased for about $50. However, now that the temperature is dropping in Boston, a sweater is close to becoming one of the most valuable things I own, and the feel of a slightly softer cashmere sweater is invaluable.

So, do you think splurging on one cashmere sweater is worth it? (Okay, I obviously do and have bought one, so I'm just making discussion here.)

I'd consider buying a thicker one for winter I guess.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What kind of question is this? Are you joking?

Cashmere is a luxury for anybody. Find your own compass!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
What kind of question is this? Are you joking?

Cashmere is a luxury for anybody. Find your own compass!

Indeed. Are you experiencing the guilt of discounted hedonism?

drake

Reaction score
I'm a college student and I have one cashmere sweater I got at Wilkes a while ago. While it is nice, I don't wear it nearly as often as my woolen ones because I don't feel comfortable just ******* around in it; if you don't feel comfortable tackling someone in it or just acting like a jackass in it it will come come off looking too affected.

So unless your okay with just tearing it off and treating it like a t-shirt, probably best to wait till you have more cash.

I dunno, maybe I'm just weird.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake

I dunno, maybe I'm just weird.

nod[1].gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes a cashmere sweater is a luxury, but so are Lobbs and Greens
tongue.gif

MrRogers

Reaction score
Is cashmere a luxury for a grad student???

Probably for most, depends on your bank statement. I heard somewhere that Jamie Johnson (of Johnson & Johnson) is a grad student, I doubt a cashmere sweater is a luxury for him.

Anyway, great question as always. I've been meaning to make this exact post but you beat me to it
laugh.gif

MrR

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but also remember that you're in one of the wealthiest parts of the country. I've personally known college kids going to schools in Boston with a monthly stipend of 30 grand. It all depends on the context.

abc123

Reaction score
If you're regretting spending that much, then yes, it probably is a luxury you shouldn't have bought. However, if it is not streching the bank for you, then who cares, enjoy the sweater! I'm a college student, I enjoy wearing cashmere sweaters and jackets, and I just be sure to not exceed my budget.

The price tag should be worth it if you're in the maket for a lady - they absolutely love cashmere and will take notice when you wear it.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cashmere.

It's about survival....on the STREETS.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jose,

Keep warm! Buy the softest sweaters you can afford, and don't forget to save a little money for the upcoming Thanksgiving and after Christmas sales.

When I was at Yale, I had a neighbor who never did laundry. She simply bought new clothes. She had so many sweaters that her roommates forced her to ship some home so that they could have a modicum of storage space. There are lots of amazingly wealthy people at fancy universities.

And lots of us who were on financial aid. And did laundry.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Yes, but also remember that you're in one of the wealthiest parts of the country. I've personally known college kids going to schools in Boston with a monthly stipend of 30 grand. It all depends on the context.
Agree. Depends on the context, and on the sweater.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
1) It is a luxury. Almost everything discussed on this board is a luxury good.
2) That has no bearing on whether or not you can afford it.
3) Don't get caught in a spending war you can't win (see above posts).
4) Enjoy the sweater, and stop worrying about it.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe

And lots of us who were on financial aid. And did laundry.

What about those who don't buy new clothes and don't do laundry?
laugh.gif

To be honest, I didn't really notice the clothes of others much. I tried to be smart but I was one of those with a very limited budget. Cashmere was a no-no for me. I remember being very reliant on the sales from the cheap shops.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads