Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is a cashmere sweater a luxury for a college/grad student?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Oct 17, 2006.

1. fredrik80

fredrik80 Senior member

As long as you wont get broke by buying it then go ahead (and sometimes it's OK to be broke to get something you want, i KNOW =) )
    Im a college student too, and after buying my first cashmere sweater (a polo ralph lauren on ebay for cheap) i've never looked back

And think about it this way: The money you spent on your cashmere sweater is probably what many other would spend retail on a cotton sweater in a regular store, since you got a great price.

2. heavyd

heavyd Senior member

Pursuant to advice here, I purchased my first sweater, a v-neck cashmere number by Johnstons of Elgin from STP. Price was below $200. Kolecho commented that cashmere is a luxury for a student, and other people opined that merino is great.

I also have another sweater by John Smedley purchased for about $50. However, now that the temperature is dropping in Boston, a sweater is close to becoming one of the most valuable things I own, and the feel of a slightly softer cashmere sweater is invaluable.

So, do you think splurging on one cashmere sweater is worth it? (Okay, I obviously do and have bought one, so I'm just making discussion here.)

I'd consider buying a thicker one for winter I guess.

This makes me recall my college years... broke, and dreaming of cashemere... however I have more than compensated in the past 11 years since. In fact, one could argue I have a problem. End of the day, (as I type this wearing a navy zip neck cashmere sweater) these things won't make you any happier, only warmer. Enjoy. No there is nothing wrong with that purchase, may you always find your cashemre on sale.

3. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I still think cashmere is a luxury, one that wears out faster than more affordable options. When I was in college, I bought seconds jumpers, shopped at outlets for casuals, but had some nice jackets that I got lots of utility from. Balance is key.

PS: I still have a seconds jumper from college days. It has several holes in it that remind me of my days in the trenches [​IMG]

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

just buy a parka

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I'm inclined to disagree with the previous posters. I believe it's a necessity. Life without cashmere is not a life worth living!

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Jose, Keep warm! Buy the softest sweaters you can afford, and don't forget to save a little money for the upcoming Thanksgiving and after Christmas sales. When I was at Yale, I had a neighbor who never did laundry. She simply bought new clothes. She had so many sweaters that her roommates forced her to ship some home so that they could have a modicum of storage space. There are lots of amazingly wealthy people at fancy universities. And lots of us who were on financial aid. And did laundry.
    That reminds me of my first couple months of living in Europe. Figuring out the laundry equipment in my building was a nightmare, they looked like they were cold war era, had no instructions, and my knowledge of German didn't extend to laundry terminology. I completely destroyed the first batch of clothing that I did, it took like three test runs with cheap items to figure out the best settings in terms of water amount, temperature, and cycle. I never thought I would miss my laundry equipment at home but I guess i did heh I ended up buying a lot of things from H&M till I figured out how to work the machines correctly [​IMG]

7. metaphysician

metaphysician Senior member

What clothing fetish is next on your list? We've had Edward Green shoes, a blazer, a cashmere sweater...

I wait with bated breath.

8. fashionnoob

fashionnoob Senior member

sorry to get a little off-topic, but can anyone speak to the quality of H&M's cashmere sweaters? i stopped by there briefly yesterday and they were only ~$50.

9. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I don't think you can really expect good quality cashmere for $50, unless at a sample sale or something like that. To be honest, while I think they are a fine price, even the much lauded J.Crew cashmere sweaters leave a lot to be desired in my experience. I have one that I bought this summer that is already pilling after three wearings. Quite badly in fact. If I had the receipt I might take it back and complain. In fact, I still might...

My more expensive cashmere (all bought on sale) is in another world, and is ashamed of their sweater cousins.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

What clothing fetish is next on your list? We've had Edward Green shoes, a blazer, a cashmere sweater...

I wait with bated breath.

my guess is an umbrella for the wet NE winters. [​IMG]

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

my guess is an umbrella for the wet NE winters. [​IMG]
    Isn't he coming from a tropical Asian country to study law. I think it rains in the Philippines, perhaps we will all get to advise Jose on space heaters for the cold winters on Boston where he is studying law.

12. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Costco has great made in Italy cashmere sweaters for $70. Cashmere is one of life's necessitites.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Isn't he coming from a tropical Asian country to study law. I think it rains in the Philippines, perhaps we will all get to advise Jose on space heaters for the cold winters on Boston where he is studying law.
    He is going to post something on the tartar sauce on his new cashmere sweater, which he wore to a casual student party.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

He is going to post something on the tartar sauce on his new cashmere sweater, which he wore to a casual student party.

So that's how they call it in the student community....

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Isn't he coming from a tropical Asian country to study law.

I'm not sure--did he mention that somewhere?