Is a California Roll Sushi?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by contactme_11, Sep 6, 2007.

1. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Thoughts?

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Technically its Uramaki, (inside out roll) which is an American invention. That doesn't mean that its "not sushi". It just means that its "not japanese".

From Sushi Masters:

4. Tengu

Tengu Well-Known Member

Technically yes. Sushi refers to the rice (it means 'seasoned rice'), not necessary fish (unlike sashimi)...

However, CR is certainly not a traditional way of serving sushi in Japan, if that's what you mean, but these days there are even some japanese sushi chefs that are looking west for their inspiration... : )

5. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

Is the reason for the inside-out roll really because people didn't like seeing seaweed? That's so bizarre. I had no idea.

Out of curiosity, what is the most common kind of sushi in Japan? Maki? Nigiri? Or is it Sashimi rather than sushi?

6. Tengu

Tengu Well-Known Member

You beat me to it... : )

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Is the reason for the inside-out roll really because people didn't like seeing seaweed? That's so bizarre. I had no idea.

Out of curiosity, what is the most common kind of sushi in Japan? Maki? Nigiri? Or is it Sashimi rather than sushi?

I don't know if thats the real reason or not. I wasn't there [​IMG]

I've seen more sashimi in person than anything else while I've been here, but it really depends on the restaraunt I think. Sashimi might be a more blue-collar type item, where sushi is probably a fancier or more formal thing. Just a guess though.

8. EL72

EL72 Senior member

California rolls are not necessarily inside out. I see them rolled with the nori outside most of the time here. California is just a roll with (fake) crab stick, avocado and cucumber. I shouldn't say it's not sushi but I don't like it and I love sushi.

9. geoff

geoff Active Member

Most common sushi would be nigiri, although most of the older generations eat a more traditional maki without any fish.

For raw fish, the cheapest is conveyor belt sushi but most common would be grocery store sashimi. Although I have no idea what people do with it after they buy it and take it home, it could easily turn into chirashi or sushi at that point.

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I picked, "What's sushi". Do I win anything??

11. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

I love all sushi/sashimi. From Anago to Uni. As for the rolls, I prefer the more local ones which the local chefs come up with, sometimes from customer suggestions. One common one I love is the Shiitake roll. There are some fantastic rolls at the world's best sushi bar in San Marcos, Katsu. And, many of them are extremely filling. I usually start out with albacore sashimi and end with uni. In between, I like to have various types of sushi. Sometimes Maguro; some salmon; Hotategai.

12. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Technically yes. Sushi refers to the rice (it means 'seasoned rice'), not necessary fish (unlike sashimi)...

However, CR is certainly not a traditional way of serving sushi in Japan, if that's what you mean, but these days there are even some japanese sushi chefs that are looking west for their inspiration... : )

If I gave someone a bowl of vinegared rice, no one would call it sushi even if that's the literal origin. I think sushi as we understand it is something else. But you're right.

I don't know if thats the real reason or not. I wasn't there [​IMG]

I've seen more sashimi in person than anything else while I've been here, but it really depends on the restaraunt I think. Sashimi might be a more blue-collar type item, where sushi is probably a fancier or more formal thing. Just a guess though.

Interesting. I would've expected it's the other way around. Sashimi being a lot more expensive as there's no rice 'filler.' But I mostly ate at the conveyor belt type places the times I was there so [​IMG]

13. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

God, most California rolls are disgusting. The "crab" they put in them tastes like and has the texture of the strings on a Koosh ball.

14. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Coming at it from an American point of view, I would say that a California roll is not sushi.

15. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

It is sushi. It is not really authentic old-country sushi, but it is sushi. I can recall seeing it in Tokyo as far back as 1990, though not at the top-of-the-market type osushiya.

It does not have to be made with imitation crab. If made with real crab and fresh, ripe avocado it can actually be quite good.