1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is a 100% Wool Suit a bad idea??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HHainey, May 11, 2011.

1. HHainey

HHainey New Member

I found a suit I like, but it is 100% wool. I was told that the only wool to get is Worsted Wool but that if it says just 'wool' then it will likely be itchy. is this true? i thought the jacket has a lining? are they talking about the pants?

can anyone give advice about buying or not buying a suit that says 100% wool?

the sooner answer the better please -- thanks!!!

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

3. Navi

Navi Senior member

Whoever told you that is a keeper.

4. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

[​IMG]

(BTW, Hitler, the Gestapo, and the Schutzstaffel all wore 100% wool suits. That's all you need to know.)

5. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    Yes, they are a very bad idea. But consider the source.

6. softy

softy Senior member

Go rayon or go home.

7. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

Go rayon or go home.

Go RECYCLED POLYESTER or go home.

8. howbah

howbah Senior member

[​IMG]

(BTW, Hitler, the Gestapo, and the Schutzstaffel all wore 100% wool suits. That's all you need to know.)

Stalin too!

9. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

Stalin too!

. . . and Mussolini and Saddam Hussein and Pol Pot and Gadhafi and bin Laden and . . .

10. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I was told that the only wool to get is Worsted Wool but that if it says just 'wool' then it will likely be itchy. is this true?

Your friend was right. What happens with worsted wool is that all the micro-brambles that are in wool are all removed by a machine called, not surprisingly, a debrambler. That means you can wear it without being itchy.

Now a regular wool suit hasn't gone through the debrambler process so it will be itchy.

Hence the general price differential between worsted wool and regular wool suits. Dembrambling takes time because you can't vigorously pass the material through the machine.

11. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    Your friend was right. What happens with worsted wool is that all the micro-brambles that are in wool are all removed by a machine called, not surprisingly, a debrambler. That means you can wear it without being itchy.

Now a regular wool suit hasn't gone through the debrambler process so it will be itchy.

Hence the general price differential between worsted wool and regular wool suits. Dembrambling takes time because you can't vigorously pass the material through the machine.

Killjoy.

/Thread

12. aspirant

aspirant Member

Polyester makes you less of a man.. decreased sperm count and motility

13. softy

softy Senior member

Btw, true story, I walked into an establishment I frequent and the owner was drinking several liter bottles of Mountain Dew gluttonously. I inquired why and he politely informed me that he would be having sex that night, so he needed this as a contraceptive aid. [​IMG]

14. mcqueen

mcqueen Senior member

The suit would be very uncomfortable. Very stiff, itchy and worst of all, you would get splinters.

....ooops, nevermind, I thought you said wood.

15. Urzu07

Urzu07 New Member

Fashionable folks know that a 100% polyester suit is the best. The feel, the look, and the style is impeccable.

16. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Senior member

17. JChance

JChance Senior member

Is this true for the older model of RLBL Anthony suit (100% wool instead of wool garbardine)? Or they meant 100% worsted wool?

18. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Do RLPL's get more debrambling than RLBL or blue label?

19. Grigory

Grigory Senior member

. . . and Mussolini and Saddam Hussein and Pol Pot and Gadhafi and bin Laden and . . .

bin Laden in the suit? are you sure? but who knows - may be solitary life in Abottabad made him sartorially inclined

20. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

bin Laden in the suit? are you sure? but who knows - may be solitary life in Abottabad made him sartorially inclined

That information is CLASSIFIED and is only on a need-to-know basis only.