• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is 38S more common that 36R?

raiderbuck

Reaction score
Seriously...is it?

I see a TON of 38S in stores, but it's almost impossible to find a 36R in a store. Most of the time I'll ask for a 36R jacket and I'll get the "Oh...we don't have that size here", or "Try online" responses from the salespeople. It is very frustrating. Especially when it comes to shopping on a budget. I know I can count on traditionally slimmer brands to have what I'm looking for, but most of the time those brands are out of my price range. (I'm on a Gap/BR budget here lol).

I've grown to tolerate online shopping. But it sucks having to purchase something sight unseen, ship it to your home, try it on, only to have it not fit correctly. Ugh!

What's even more frustrating is that stores will sell a 28 inch waist pant/trouser but have 38R jacket paired with it. What? Is that normal?
frown.gif

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the 38 is easier to find.

I think, but I'm not sure, that a 36 is roughly equivalent to the largest sized Boys suit (20 or 22?). You may have better luck in the Polo, Brooks Bros, and Hickey Freeman Boys section.

According to one website I found, a Boys 20 is for a male 5'8", 138 lbs, with a 30" waist.

hgoodman01

Reaction score
You might want to give H&M a shot. They're in that gap/banana price range with a pretty slim fit, and carry 36r.

raiderbuck

Reaction score
I'm 6 FT, 145lbs., and I got long arms and legs. I've been in H&M a lot and yes they do make ok stuff, but right now they have this strange obsession with black/grey suits. And the quality isn't as good as say a JCrew or BR winter wear. Plus their trousers are waaayyy too skinny for my tastes.

My main problem with the 38R is the shoulders. The shoulders are always big on me. Gets real frustrating especially come clearance time and theres a bunch of jackets left at discounted prices. More then likely they are priced differently online (where the 36R is...). BAH...I guess I'll to eat more peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain but it's no party being a 38 either. I have very poor luck finding anything worthwile in 38S online at places like STP and BB.

hgoodman01

Reaction score
I'm 5'9 and wear a 36r

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zara is a good place for you to look. I've seen lots of 36R there. Not great quality but not too expensive.

Limniscate

Reaction score
I'm a quarter inch shy of 5'9", 155 lbs. with a 31" waist, and 36S suits usually fit me better than 38S or R.

w.mj

Reaction score
I'm 5'9" and wear a 36R, but the reason I'm posting is because someone mentioned that a 36R is the equivalent of the largest boys' sizes. Hickey Freeman Boys is going on Gilt Groupe tomorrow and it might be good for a casual suit. Can anyone confirm or comment that a size 20-22 boys is the same as 36R or 36S?

Carbon Copy

Reaction score
I'm about 5'8.5" at 145lbs and I wear a 36S. 38S is definitely too big in the shoulders.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
You should try being a 32XS
blush.gif

I was going to say something along the lines of "You should try being a 34R" but oh wow I've been one-upped.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Two Headed Boy
I was going to say something along the lines of "You should try being a 34R" but oh wow I've been one-upped.

yeah, ditto. I'm 5.5'' 130lbs, so anything from 34-36 works. Even some "36"'s have closer to 18'' shoulders, so they're closer to 38's anyway. it's been tough!

it seems like either you have to buy cheap fashion-styled suits for modsters who don't really need a real business suit, or ultra high end (priced to match) labels, that are still quite styled for the office... I think MTM is probably the best solution.

PS - H&M has 34, but the pants are way skinny and it's not a great suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads