• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is 2" too much to let out at the waist?

Aloysius16

Reaction score
I have found some very nice wool trousers which fit well around my narrow hips and flat seat but which would need to be let out by 2 inches at the waist. (from equivalent of size 34 to size 36) There is enough material to do this, but is this alteration likely to significantly negatively affect either the appearance or the cut? I have read positive and negative views on this on Styleforum threads previously.

EzraPaul

Reaction score
A couple things:

• You can't take out all the way, you still need to leave the surge plus a little on the inside
  • The thigh is ok?
  • The pockets will move out 2", which depending on the pant style could look funny.
  • They are wool? If cotton, don't do it, you will see the needle marks.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Really helpful, thanks.

Yes, I think there is enough excess, probably two and three quarter inches in total if not more

Thigh is fine, yes. I am probably a 'natural' size 34 if it wasn't for the gut. I carry weight around the waist rather than seat/thighs. Most trousers are too baggy at the lower seat area.

I guess I can live with the pockets thing if the rest of the fit is good.

Yes, they are wool. Two are Loro Piana flannel, the other two Scabal S130.

Regarding fit, should it be possible to take the waist out by 2" without altering the line of the trousers aroundt the lower hip and seat/thigh?

EzraPaul

Reaction score
Yeah it's possible. The waist has to be be let out gradually into the seat since they are the same seam. If you adjust just the waist and not the seat, you'll get a pucker right below the waistband. The more you let out the larger the wedge shape will have to be to taper the seam, so it will affect the lower seat (hip) some, but shouldn't be a ton. It's a little bit of a gamble, much easier to tell when taking in since it can be pinned.

jeam3130

Reaction score
A couple things:

• You can't take out all the way, you still need to leave the surge plus a little on the inside
  • The thigh is ok?
  • The pockets will move out 2", which depending on the pant style could look funny.
  • They are wool? If cotton, don't do it, you will see the needle marks.

for cotton trousers, are the needle marks permanent? ive heard some people say they go away with washing and drying. i have some cotton trousers i want to let out by about 0.5 inches. im worried about the needle marks though

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads