• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is 15 days enough to make (at least fitting) a bespoke at WW Chan?

y10k

Reaction score
I am going to Shenzhen (the city in Mainland just across the border from Hong Kong) in a week. I may stay a few days in HK or travel back and forth from Shenzhen to HK.

I have heard a lot about Jantzen and I would like to order a few shirts from them during my visit to HK.

I would also like to order a suit from one of those tailors (WW Chan, Ash Samtani, etc). However, I am not sure if 15 days around the area would give me enough time to do the fittings. Is it a wise decision to spend above $1k at WW Chan during my visit?

What are my other options?

y10k

Reaction score
Originally Posted by y10k
I am going to Shenzhen (the city in Mainland just across the border from Hong Kong) in a week. I may stay a few days in HK or travel back and forth from Shenzhen to HK.

I have heard a lot about Jantzen and I would like to order a few shirts from them during my visit to HK.

I would also like to order a suit from one of those tailors (WW Chan, Ash Samtani, etc). However, I am not sure if 15 days around the area would give me enough time to do the fittings. Is it a wise decision to spend above $1k at WW Chan during my visit?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone can recommend a good tailor in Shenzhen too.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never dealt with Chan in HK, but I believe that they can make you a suit with three fittings in 15 days with comparative ease. If they have to get the fabric flown in, it may delay the procedings for a few days.

Just about any suit you get from Chan is going run a bit north of the $1K (U.S.) mark these days. Patrick quoted me a price of $1,100 for a two-piece from VBC Super 130 last month.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chan made me a suit from fabric they had in stock in under 10 days while I was in HK. It would be best to email them ahead of time and confirm that they can do that, though.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also wanted to confirm Chan could do this in under 15 days. I believe they made my suit last fall in nine days total using a Scabal they had in house. This included four appointments for measurement / fittings, which wasn't a problem as I was staying in the area. I'm going back in a few months for a new suit.

sfo423

Reaction score
Yes.

Have you ever seen hummingbirds around their nest?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chan should be able to accommodate you very easily in that time with two fittings.

they represent good value for money. Alternately Yu and Yao are both decent tailors in the same league.

Originally Posted by y10k

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Best way is to ask them. Knowing they never really produce anything mediocre, I'm sure they'd be honest with you.

musigny

Reaction score
Last year I had a suit made up by Chan while in Hong Kong. I had exchanged e-mails with Arnold Wong about timing, so he knew I was on a short schedule, but he didn't seem concerned at all. He worked out the following schedule: I arrived HK early on a Thursday morning and had an appointment in the afternoon to be measured and to look at fabrics. I selected an H&S Crispaire, which took two days to arrive from England; my first fitting was on Monday, my second on Tuesday. I had a final fitting on Thursday morning, and there was a minor adjustment in the back that they took care of by the early afternoon, as I was leaving that evening.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's been said a few times already, but I will reiterate. This is probably possible, but you have to make an appointment. That's how they'll best be able to accommodate you.

I haven't had a suit made up at Chan (yet) but I have had a number of shirts made. The last time I was there, I asked about suits, and Patrick sort of winced as he asked how much time I had. I told him I really wasn't interested at the time, but was inquiring about next time. He asked me a few general questions and I got the impression that even 7-10 days would be do-able if I had an appt. set.

I'd also advise you to e-mail as early as possible for the appointment. While Chan is not nearly so bad as Jantzen, I do find that they can be a bit unreliable answering e-mails in a time frame that most business people would find normal.

Good luck!

y10k

Reaction score
I dropped by WW Chan without any plan to actually make a suit since I didn't make any appointment. However, they were able to accommodate me.

Aug 24 measurement
Sept 3 first fitting
Sept 6 second fitting
Sept 10 pickup - on my way to HKG airport

Kudo to them.

Look forward to mhy first bespoke
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads