• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is 1 midnight blue tux in wedding party ok?

TwoFours

Reaction score
My best friend is getting married and I'm best man. We're wearing tuxes and so he said since he was buying one for himself for the wedding he'd buy mine as my groomsmen gift. I kind of want a midnight blue tux. He doesn't. Would it look silly if I was in midnight blue and he was in black? Also, the wedding party consists of me and the brides brother who already owns a tux. Should we try to buy a tux that matches his? (I'm pretty sure he has peak lapel, single button which from reading black tie guide is clearly the way to go so no issue there I guess). Thanks in advance gents.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
No one will notice.

TwoFours

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
No one will notice.

Awesome, thank you. Now to find a some what cheap midnight blue tux...which may not be possible. I know indochino makes one for a decent price. Maybe I'll look into that.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested to know where you find a thrifty midnight blue tux.

TwoFours

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
I'd be interested to know where you find a thrifty midnight blue tux.

Seems like it'll be quite difficult.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would get the PRL classic tux and be done with it.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he's buying it for you, and it's his wedding, I'd say go with what he (or the bride) would rather you do. If they insist on you having black, I wouldn't make too much of a fuss over it; after all, dude is paying for your tux. If they don't seem to mind, or you convince him (I find it hard to believe that if the bride wants you to wear a black tux, you could convince her of anything else) then by all means find yourself a midnight blue.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
If he's buying it for you, and it's his wedding, I'd say go with what he (or the bride) would rather you do. If they insist on you having black, I wouldn't make too much of a fuss over it; after all, dude is paying for your tux. If they don't seem to mind, or you convince him (I find it hard to believe that if the bride wants you to wear a black tux, you could convince her of anything else) then by all means find yourself a midnight blue.

This. The bride's opinion is the only opinion that matters. Ignore us. If she wants you to wear a five-button notch lapel burgundy tux, that's what you're wearing, bucko.

TwoFours

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish

yeah i tried to convince him the other day but he stood his ground. Guess I have to give up my dream..lol..

Matt S

Reaction score
Does he even know what midnight blue really is? 9 out of 10 people would probably think it's black. However it will usually look a lot nicer than any black one because the colour is much richer. It would surely overtake the groom.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
This. The bride's opinion is the only opinion that matters. Ignore us. If she wants you to wear a five-button notch lapel burgundy tux, that's what you're wearing, bucko.

Maybe it's because I am young and naive and think of marriage as a thing for old people, but Fuk that ****! It's always about looking good on the Style Forum (at least for oneself) than about some one cow who has been bought.

devil.gif

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Maybe it's because I am young and naive and think of marriage as a thing for old people, but Fuk that ****! It's always about looking good on the Style Forum (at least for oneself) than about some one cow who has been bought.
devil.gif

+1

Convince the groom to go nidnight blue then tell the bride you are the worlds expert cos you are a member of SF, show her the black tie guide, and tell her the photos will look much better if groom wears Mid-nite B.

Bon chance

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale

Hey, I hear ya. But the thing is, even if the bride writes off on a midnight blue tux, the OP is gonna show up at the wedding looking better than everybody else, and even if she doesn't say anything, she will be screeching like a harpy in her mind, "WHY is this MAN trying to STEAL THE SHOW????? EVERYBODY should be looking at MEEEEE!!" and will hold some kind of minor resentment until the day she dies.

TwoFours

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IronRock
+1

Convince the groom to go nidnight blue then tell the bride you are the worlds expert cos you are a member of SF, show her the black tie guide, and tell her the photos will look much better if groom wears Mid-nite B.

Bon chance

haha agreed. this tux is going to be with me for a long time (and my buddy) so i'm trying to convince him that Blue is better. He doesn't believe me. I linked him blacktieguide and PTO's black tie post that both state the superiority of midnight blue.

one other thing, I've been a member here since may but never posted because my real name was my login, so i didnt sign up last night like it shows in my info. set up a new name last night to post this specifically.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads